Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowshoe WV Early Season.
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
Sincraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBthe3rd View Post
What's the most affordable place to stay at close to Snowshoe ???
The silver creek lodge has many very small studio rooms with pull down beds that you can easily get for $100 / nt. I booked something last minute and found one for $90 midweek.

DONT waste your time looking for anything off the mountain. There is nothing as snowshoe is literally in the middle of nowhere and, you still need to haul your butt up the mountain once you get to the mountain which is like a 15 minute experience.

VRBO is the place to checkout honestly. Get in good with an owner and you'll get discounts as they trust you wont trash the place if you intend on renting often.

Most places want a minimum commitment but midweek and early/late season you can almost name your price and stay just one day.

There are ALOT of property owners at Snowshoe that are angry that it never turned out to be this big resort that was promised to them when they sold real estate. Many people hate owning their places and just want them sold, even at a loss. So if you have $ and need to spend it...

It kills me to see so many condos/apartments / houses going for triple, quadruple that it would in a nice neighborhood only because its at a resort. Ends up drawing nothing but wankers I think. And leaves property owners with a big bill to pay each month instead of those big rentals they thought they would have.

Snowshoe needs to open more lengthy terrain. It's the only draw for me and many others I know. Otherwise I have similar right in my back yard as do most others that live in my area which is a good part of their customer base as we are only 3.5 - 4.5 hours away depending on which party of the city you are from.

Anyway, if you are looking for cheap checkout VRBO and silver creek. You may find some other snowshoe areas too for cheap. The bigger you go with more people, the nicer the place and the cheaper it becomes. There was a mansion basically for rent there, not sure where the heck it was located, and it was like $5500 / wk but slept like 26. You can shuttle back and forth if you pick silver creek ,and silver creek has night skiing so. The bar / restaurant at silver creek is kinda - eh. I'd rather eat a hot dog at teh bottom of cupp runn.

good luck. Oh and if you have never been there, for god's sake please make sure you know how to drive in the snow and are prepared to drive up a bigass hill while it's snowing. Chances are it wont be, but if it is, strap in and drive!

Last edited by Sincraft; 11-27-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Sincraft is offline   Reply With Quote