Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#4,889 ·
Cannonsburg tomorrow night 5:30ish till whenever. Should have fresh snow, but not enough for a pow day.

Sunday has me salivating. Am going up to either Crystal or Caberfae and plan to be there by 9am. If they get dumped on like they're sayin Saturday, I may just get yet another powder day Sunday. This year has been pretty rad so far.

#4,891 ·
Yeah! That's right. Rub it in! Just cancelled the vacation next week. It's been 2 weeks since I rode last. I've missed out on all the multi inch snow events in that period, and it looks like I'm going to miss out on this one too.

This back pain shit sucks ass!

............I hate you all! :(

#4,892 ·
Yea better to miss it now though and not risk losing the whole season. Did you happen to try any of the stuff I mentioned that worked for me?

Bummer man, but you'll be out there again soon I'm sure.:thumbsup:

#4,893 ·
I know, but I'm still so totally bummed. Right now I haven't even come near getting enough days in locally to have paid for the PK/Holly pass. ($580/$600 for that is nothing to sneeze at!) :blink: I was so stoked because with my new high mpg vehicle, my passes bought & paid for, and the new work schedule. I was in a perfect position to get a ton of riding in this season. AND as you guy's can attest, we were/are getting the Good snow to make it an awesomely great season. Now I'm not sure where I'm at for the rest of it.
:(

Not only that, but ever since I got back from my last trip to Highlands I've been dealing with one painful set of joint issues after another. This back thing is just the latest and most severe! I haven't had this many back to back, unresponsive, moderate to severely painful joint issues in several years. So It's starting to get me more than a little freaked out!

I have been icing and using a heating pad. (My new Focus has heated seats, so I get two good 20 min. heating sessions going to and from work as well!) I haven't been stretching really much at all, but will give that more of a go here and see if it helps.

-sigh- Please forgive all this self pitying BS! ....just ranting cuz this is soo frustrating!!!! No sooner do I start to feel better from one issue, a new one rears it's ugly, painful head! (...shoulda taken better care of myself when younger! Not been such a macho dumbass about injuries!)

Shoulda, coulda, woulda I guess! :dunno: :dizzy:

#4,894 ·
Bummer Chomps.

Just got back from a night mission at Cannonsburg. Pretty fun, snow was fast as hell. I just realized tonight that I'm getting to the point where I can cruise past most people on blues. Had a good time.

#4,898 ·
Yeah! Enlighten us about the noob who didn't need lessons! I could use a good chuckle! :D

#4,903 ·
WTF????

Here I am sitting around, feeling sorry for myself cuz I'm missing out on another serious snow dump when I check on the PK webcam? Wtf? The place looks practically empty. I checked Holly's cams too and while their main lift looks like it has a shitshow crowd lined up at it, I don't see a lot of ppl on the hill from the other cams.

I imagine the roads probably do suck ass right now, but seriously? If my back was right? I'd be out there riding this shit in a heartbeat.

So, how about it? Who got out to enjoy this snow event? Were the crowds as light as they looked. I seriously need a vicarious snowboard fix today! ;)

#4,906 ·
Mt Holly was great today. Blizzard heavy wet snow fell continuously. .. not too crowded. They built some new park features and have a wall ride ready to install early next week but I didn't spend any time in the park today. Snow was fast and wet, major push piles by 3pm though. Roads were bad but manageable; took me about 1:20 each way (normally 55). 7 cars in the ditch between there and square lake road on the way home including one that was flipped over on its hood in the clearing stages, looked bad but if I was a betting man I'd say it probably wasn't fatal... I drive 45-50 with 4wd. .. cant understand why little cars were speeding past me like didn't you see all those cars in the ditch???

#4,907 ·
Crystal today. Snow conditions were good, not great. They didn't get nearly as much snow as we got downstate it seems. Powder to be had in the trees in spots, mostly in the Abendroth and Ridge glades, groomers were packed powder.

I'm beat up bad. Blew out a toe slider on my binders off a homemade kicker on the North Face, had to ride all the way back to the shop without a toe strap on my front foot. Wrist got twisted up on that one and still hurts.

The Buck glades were shit. REALLY tracked out in most spots and I T-boned a medium sized tree with my board after catching unexpected air off a mogul. Didn't blow out an edge thank God but did gouge the base of my board. No core shot, but bent my right ankle back the wrong way. Fucker is swollen good. And my left tricep feels all jacked up for reasons I don't know.

Oh well it was good to ride in the sunshine for a change.

#4,908 ·
So it's only Tuesday, but what are people's plans this weekend? I think I'll be up north but not sure. No weeknights for me this week though, ankle still isn't in the greatest shape.

Chomps, you gonna be back at it or is your back still getting at you?

#4,910 ·
Better but not great! Thanks for asking!

Not sure if I will get out this week or not. Back has improved some, no thanks to the doctors. Did some googling and Symptoms seem like it's my "Psoas" muscle that has been causing this. Doing some targeted stretches and have been taking muscle relaxer since yesterday. More improvement from those two things than all the adjustments last week, the ice, heat, rest etc.

But improvement has been incrementally small. Prolonged sitting, at computer or in truck contributes/aggravates this muscle spasm. So I'll just have to wait and see. May feel good enough by Sat. or Sun. Hope so!

Sab, wish I was heading that way! Have fun!

#4,912 ·
morning park laps at Mt. Brighton today, now back in the home office. The sun came out to play a little bit, which was nice, because the light was impossibly flat when I got there at 10am. Jump line is OK but needs some work I honestly don't know what they will do to fix it. None of the "big" jumps are too big for me, which means they aren't really that big (maybe 15 footers). But the approach ramps are so massive that it's *really* hard to carry sufficient speed through the whole line. I was easily clearing the first one, knuckling the second and passing the third entirely. As for the jumps themselves, relatively low angle, not to "lippy" or poppy (I prefer them to be mellow like this) with pristine landings. It's just the layout is not very good. They either need to spread them out, or to cut down by about half, the massive 30' mounds they are built up on, to be really rideable. Either option would really be a massive undertaking at this point, given how much snow they would have to push to get the job done right.

Playing it by ear this weekend but if I ride it will probably be local only. Might make this one a "family" weekend and forsake riding... lotta shit going on with vacation to NC next week and Test Fest and getting our bathroom remodeled, I just think I'd be pressing my luck...

would be my first weekend off, all season I think.

Or maybe I go to Jon's and jam the backyard rail/quarterpipe. I feel like I can probably get away with that one night :)

#4,914 ·
Damn, my drive in to work today took over an hour. Usually it's about 30 minutes.

High moisture content to this snow, very very slippery conditions out there.

#WishIWasSnowboardingToday

#4,919 · (Edited)
Yea it appears light and fluffy, but the news said high moisture content due to the temps we are at. Not talking heavy wet LE snow. Dry powder is not this fucking slippery on the roads.

I'm just going based on the meteorologists. http://woodtv.com/2014/01/22/storm-team-8-forecast/ look at video, skip to 0:40 she explains it.