Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Oakley Airwave.... Sweet baby Jesus

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  scotty100 
#1 · (Edited)
So Oakley are coming out with a new goggle for 2013. Looks good, similar big lens style to APX's and the EG2's, but here's the kicker, it's got a heads up display in the goggle... Can display information such as

"With Airwave, alpine sports enthusiasts can access a full range of information transmitted directly to the eye. Snowboarders and skiers can view jump analytics, pinpoint their location on a resort map alongside navigational information, and even locate and track others in their group. Additional sensor information includes distance traveled, altitude, speed and vertical descent data. Pairing with a smartphone allows immediate viewing of incoming calls and text messages, and music playlists on a Bluetooth-enabled device can be easily accessed and controlled by the glove-friendly wireless remote that can be strapped to the user’s body or goggle depending on their preference."

Will be keen to try these out, sadly looking at a price of $599 on the Oakley site :( Whole new level of Master Chief shit right here!

http://www.mountainwatch.com/Featur...troduces-AIRWAVE-Goggle-with-Heads-Up-Display

#2 ·
Sweet.

So you can have a HUD in your right eye with your iphone screen on it, and you can have a gopro telescope in your other hand...and the benefits?...how well does it work when you are in an area without cell reception?

Pls do a review and if I can play Legend of Zelda on my goggles on the chairlift, I'm in.

#3 ·
how well does it work when you are in an area without cell reception?
The only feature I can see no cell reception affecting in the msg display. From the quick browse of the user manual the rest runs off an actual GPS. I agree some of the stuff does seem a bit gimmicky, but aye cool bit of innovation.

if I can play Legend of Zelda on my goggles on the chairlift, I'm in.
I'm sure some kind of mod will be made ahahaha

#7 ·
Such a huge waste of money.

You'll use the stat tracking once before you realize it's a novelty that you don't care about.

Most of the features just seem gimmicky or a useless distraction if you're actually focusing on snowboarding.

Cool idea and it's a start, but in it's current form it's looks pretty useless, especially for a $500 premium over other goggles.

#8 ·
Here is what sucks about these goggles. You can only get them with either black iridium, or fire iridium. Both of those lenses are for bright sunny days only. So basically these $600 googles are useless for overcast, snowing, or night riding.

Also after scouring the interwebs there is no confirmed info that the on board screen will allow you to connect and view a camera device like go pro. Basically as far as I can tell its only a rumor.

For now you are better off downloading the Alpine Pro app which tracks all the stats the airwave does and only costs 2 or 3 bucks.

My review of this thing is that its a great idea with shitty implementation. Fail.

Oh...and you have only two frame choices...black and something shaun white would wear.

#9 ·
If you really want them, they are not limited to Oakley. Smith/zeal has the ready to ride versions like Oakley. They also sell the system alone for $450. There's half a dozen recon ready googles out there.

Both io recon and the system can be bought at MEC.

#10 ·
I heard the Smith version was better from a display perspective and that the goggle lens has superior peripheral field:

Smith Products | SmithOptics.com

Looks pretty gimmicky to me although could be useful from a safety perspective if you are way off the grid...

To me the best innovation in goggles this year is the Anon M1! Why is no one talking about the awesome magnet lens switch-out tech!! So good...:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.