Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Technical Shell Jacket Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #99 (permalink)
seriouscat
Rides Caturdayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by saloman View Post
Any canucks have experience snowboarding in Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) gore-tex shells?

I use a Synergy Jacket for hiking but have never taken it out on the slopes. Any good reason not to?
No reason not to. Goretex fabric layering itself is pretty universal if same material is used. They will only allow certain fabrics to combo with certain membranes. That jacket is a 3 layer so it has to meet the range of specification per Gore. A pure ski jacket could potential be using a harder more durable material per manufacturer specs, but I doubt it's going to a drastic difference. In general no one wants to use a proshell unless it's extreme wet weather/snow/ice since the proshell has worse breath-ability. Especially compared to some of the newer technologies out there.

As taken from Gore-tex forums:

Gore-Tex Pro Shell is a "3-Layer" product. The 3 layers are: 1-Outer "Shell" layer, generally a nylon of sorts. 2-Inner "Gore-Tex Pro Shell" waterproof/breathable membrane, and 3-Inner "liner" fabric, for Pro-Shell it's usually a product called Gore Micro Grid Backer or something similar meant to wick moisture away from your body and start the transfer process. All 3 of these layers are laminated into essentially 1 layer. So, even though it says it's a 3 layer, it feels like 1.

Gore-Tex Performance Shell is usually a "2-Layer" product. The 2 layers are: 1-Outer shell layer, and 2-Gore-Tex membrane laminated to the outer shell, Then there's a thin inner liner that not laminated to the outer/membrane layers.

Gore-Tex Paclite Shell is sometimes referred to as a 2.5 layer. It's got an outer shell layer that has a special Gore-Tex membrane laminated to it. The membrane in this case has been designed to be worn directly against your skin/clothes so an additional inner layer isn't needed.

Last edited by seriouscat; 11-28-2012 at 01:40 AM.
seriouscat is offline   Reply With Quote