Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - WTF - Midwest Season Pass Prices
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
rgunzalez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp View Post
I think a season pass at Granite Peak in Wisconsin is like 450 if you get it at the last minute. If you plan on hitting up that place more than 6 times a year then it's your best bet by far.

Snowfall here sucks. All hills in WI that I know of have been making snow around the clock and no one is truly "open" yet. How do you expect them to absorb that cost? Definitely can't be cheap to have crews working long hours and making snow 24 hours a day.

Overpriced season passes? Meh, a little. Depends on how much you want to go snowboarding I guess.
I don't think season pass prices are a true reflection of operating costs, I'm pretty sure it's much more expensive to operate a true mountain resort. Take a look at the size of Crystal or Snoqualmie (someone posted images in this thread), you can't seriously believe the cost of blowing snow for a small hill would exceed the cost of managing terrain that is 15 times the size in a mountain range. Most of the costs for blowing snow would probably be electricity as water is in abundance, and most likely the melted water is recycled for use from a reservoir. It's not like they're pumping in ocean water, desalinating it, and running a state of the art cooling system like Dhubai.

Yes, it depends on how much I want to snowboard in WI for an extremely limited experience at outrageous prices. More power to them for charging what people are willing to pay, I'm not knocking them for running a business, but I don't have to play ball. I'm planning to buy a season pass in WA and take trips out there periodically during the winter.

Last edited by rgunzalez; 11-28-2012 at 01:47 PM.
rgunzalez is offline   Reply With Quote