Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Lessons - yes or no?
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #28 (permalink)
gjsnowboarder
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cls View Post
Okay, I am only going to get two days on the slopes this year. I am a good skier but have never snowboarded. I wake board and wake surf regularly and I usually pick up new sports easily. My question is, is it better to spend a half day taking a lesson or just picking up and learning by doing? I have never taken a lesson for any sport but I want to make the most of my two days and if that means a half day lesson will make the rest of the time better, then that is what I will do.

Also, I will probably buy a board and bindings since I expect to spend most time on the slopes in the future on a snowboard. Any feedback on boards and bindings will be appreciated. FYI, I am 6'4" and 220 lbs.

Thanks
Take a lesson. While it is true naturally athletic people can pick up the sport through trial and error. Why not stop that trial and error and get right to the point of the how and why of snowboarding? I learnt without lessons and rode for three - four years prior to becoming an instructor. I have absolutely no illusions about the benefit of instruction. My own personnal riding and understanding of snowboard during my new hire process improved my riding ten-fold let alone all the training, and practice that I have gotten since then. A lesson isn't just about learning how to ride, but why what you do makes you successful or not. Once you have that basics, progression is incredibly faster.

As far as board suggestions RENT.. For only having two days unless money is no object purchasing equipment probably isn't worth it.
For boards I'm 6'0" and 220ish size 13 feet. I'm guessing your foot size is eleven or better at least. This means regardless if you rent or buy get a board probably no shorter then a 159cm. It should also be a wide board. I would suggest based of your height a stance width no narrower then 23" inches and normal beginner duck stance of 12 front and -6 back. Look for board and bindings that fall in the medium flex range i.e. 5-7 out of ten. At this point an all mountain deck is alright until you figure out the style of snowboarding you want to ride.

Last edited by gjsnowboarder; 11-28-2012 at 11:53 PM. Reason: addition for equipment.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote