Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Colorado Conditions, Meet ups and General Talk Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #94 (permalink)
killclimbz
Veteran Member

So on a side note. Another season like last year is going to put the serious hurt on almost every ski area in the state. I got a feeling some are already teetering on the edge of declaring bankruptcy. The internet isn't going to let them get away with "come on out you'll have a great time" marketing. The guy who hiked the back bowls at Vail last year did more damage with than one pic than their marketing could make up in 10 years.

For destination areas, Crested Butte always seems to be in danger, Steamboat being an Intradouche resort is probably not far off that list. In the Front Range, I got to think Winterpark is in the most danger of having the operator pull out. Denver owns the ski area, so in that regard it's safe. Intrawest may want out though. Not sure about the other two, Vail resorts or Powder Corp (Copper) are on less solid footing. My guess would be VR as they have really extended themselves the past couple of years. Of course the good start to the season in Cali could prop them up through another bad year in Colorado.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote