Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Art of Flight Series (the making of)
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
BurtonAvenger
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog42 View Post
But out of all pro snowboarders, I must insist that Travis Rice is the worst.

Why? Well he had a contest to supposedly find out who the best snowboarder in the world is...
So, Rice spent the summer designing and completely overseeing the construction of the Redbull Supernatural course. He also chose the judges of the contest. None of this would have been a problem if he hadn't entered himself in the contest- which he did.
And of course, he won.

I told my friend about this, and he said what as probably the best way I've heard of describing it: "that's like me designing a maze and then challenging other people to a race through it- of course I'd win because I know the best way."

It wasn't a fair contest. And Rice's name is literally on almost every piece of Quicksilver snowboarding gear. Don' they have any other pros?

I also don't like how every snowboarding magazine seems to talk about him like a god or something every time he shows up, just because he can pull off the biggest tricks. He can do them, that's true, but there's 3 things I always consider that any pro athlete has to have to truly be the best:
1.) Mad skills.
2.) A good, respectful attitude and personality.
3.) Common sense.

Without all 3 of these, you can't be the best no matter how god you are.
Are you sure you're even in your 20's? Every time you post I facepalm myself then question if you have the mental capacity of a sea sponge.

I've met Travis a few times, talked with him briefly, have a lot of friends that work/live/ride with him. The whole concept of Supernatural wasn't to crown a winner regardless of what they led you to believe, it was to showcase the other side of snowboarding that the mainstream never sees. RedBull dumped a shit ton into that to market that event to get people out of the mindset that snowboarding is this formulated halfpipe or slopestyle run.

Also if you think he actually "oversaw" the building of that course you're insane. It was what's his nuts from Baldface that did all the work, the lay out, etc. etc. After the fact they realized they laid it out completely wrong and are going to have to change it going forward for the riders.

Now I will say this "Art of Flight" should be called "Art of Filler" Airplanes filming helicopters filming airplanes filming guys on sleds filming elks migrating filming grass blowing in the wind. It's a movie not for snowboarders it's for people that ride maybe once a year, use snowboarding as more a social gathering or backdrop, and just wanted some eye candy. If you want to see snowboarding for snowboarders pick up Absinthe.