Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Help me pick my Never Summer Board!
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fredlicious

Default Help me pick my Never Summer Board!

Age 27
Weight 140
Height 5'6"
Boot size 10
Budget Whatever

Location of riding Southern California (Mammoth, sometimes Big Bear), Colorado (usually Breck)

Riding style I probably fall squarely in the advanced (though not expert) riding category; I've been doing it for about 15 years, but I never really push the envelope to the extremes. I usually ride with friends of lower skill/risk level, so I generally carve my own path in nearby foliage or hit a black steep/mogul run. I enjoy riding the groomers for speed as well, and I make the occasional venture to a bowl when there is one available. I'll hit a natural jump/spin once in a blue moon, but I never make a conscious effort to do any freestyle riding.

--

I have a bit of brand loyalty to Never Summer, as I have owned and ridden a Carbon VMAX Wide for over a decade now; I'd definitely like to stick with one of their boards. There are three on my radar, and this is where you guys come in:

155 Never Summer Heritage: This is the top contender right now. My research suggests that my relatively eclectic riding style as a one board kind of guy makes this a natural choice. The only fear I have here is that its designation as an All Mountain board means that it won't really be anything memorable compared to the other options.

159 Never Summer Premier F1: I visited a snowboard shop in CO last weekend to get some advice from one of the guys there, and this is what he recommended. The biggest problem I see with it is the 159 length; I am not tall, my current board is a 155, and I have the vague sense that the extra length has the potential to get me into trouble during tree riding and moguls.

156 Never Summer Raptor: When I first started looking, this was my favored choice; I really like the promise of handling well at high speeds for groomers, steeps, and bowls. My main concern is that the reviews I have read suggest that turn initiation is much more difficult due to the Big Mountain nature of the board, and I worry how that will affect me in the trees and riding on bumps.

Please let me know if I haven't provided enough information or done enough research on my own. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Fredlicious is offline   Reply With Quote