Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - avy packs
Thread: avy packs
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #43 (permalink)
ShredLife
The Rooster King

if i'm just out for the day then i'm barely bringing any food. maybe a small baggie of trailmix and a cliff bar or maybe two cliff bars...

for layering i usually limit it to two smartwool longsleeve tees and a patagonia r1 fleece - total including however much of that i am wearing.

i only bring a puffy on overnight stuff. only exception would be to sub one smartwool tee out for a micro puffy vest of some sort. if its just a day trip usually no extra gloves...

the other thing is the camera - if you're lugging a DSLR out there the time has come to change equipment. look at the sony nex 6 and 7, the olympus em5, fuji xpro1 and other compact systems cameras. these new mirrorless cameras offer up to all but the largest full-frame sensor equivalents in a much, much smaller and lighter package. i can carry mine with the lens attached in a small case on the hipbelt of my backpack and i don't even notice it there riding. really is a game-changer for backcountry photography - you can bring it every time and it doesn't add 5-15lbs of suck to your day. another ground-breaking little camera is the sony rx100 - an very powerful and capable compact that's IQ can rival a DSLR with its 1" sensor.

edit: if you're using a full-frame camera like a canon 5dii or higher or whatever nikon's equivalent is i'd still switch to a mirrorless for hiking, unless you really are a pro photographer and you're getting paid for your images. even then i'd still give it some serious thought. sony's nex system leaves some room for the possibility of a ff nex model in the future.

Last edited by ShredLife; 12-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote