Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Goofy vs Regular
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
gjsnowboarder
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderaholic View Post
That's weird you mention that. I am right foot dominant when it comes to things like kicking and such, but I longboard/snowboard regular. I am tempted to say I have pretty decent form as well with minimal to no rear foot steering.
Not to weird at all. Dominant foot is't about the foot that is in the air. ITs about the side of your body you place forward more often and balance on. When kicking a ball with the right you usually step forward with your left and plant it. As you swing through with the kick you are rotating with that plant leg and balancing on it. In skate boarding "typically" the foot you kick with is the back foot. Thus the foot being balanced on and leading is the foot on the deck.

In snowboarding the best form for dynamic turns is a steering motion from the nose of the board that follows along the length of the board and is finished towards the rear of the board at the end of the turn. In the past I have taught lessons where we explore this only doing turn with the front foot using the ankle or rotating the front leg and then trying again but only using the back leg. The trying to do turns starting from the front finishing with the back and vise versa. It can be a great lead into butters, tricks, bump riding,etc.
gjsnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote