Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Goofy vs Regular

8K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  that1guy 
#1 ·
Hi! So I recently had surgery on my right knee a year and a half ago, however it's healed up pretty nicely but still has its weak moments. This week I am going snowboarding for the first time! (I was a skier but made the switch because its easier on the knees) I'm so excited and got a new board for a great price. And they set it up goofy style. I did all the "tests" so that I step out with my right foot, kick with my right, slide on the floor with my left and start a handstand on my left foot. Basically I have no idea what my stance is, but I want to keep my weak knee safe, soooo should I ride regular or goofy? What do you think?

P.S. I typically longboard goofy

Thanks for the help! It's greatly appreciated!!

#4 ·
Sorry to piggie back ur post but what's the best way you think to figure out for someone who is new to snowboarding to figure out if they are regular or goofy ? Because I know many people who have right Dom foot to kick soccer balls and such but they feel more comfortable goofy which places their Dom foot in front

#7 ·
The dominant foot should be the lead foot on a snowboard. If it isn't most likely the rider is riding and steering from the back of board which while it can be effective, isn't efficient.

Your dominant foot is the foot that you most feel comfortable balancing on. if you make contact with a soccer ball kicking it with your right foot,the it typically will be the left foot ( or regular). if you wakeboard, long board it usually the same stance. I would stay with the goofy stance since that is what you are comfortable with already long boarding. Don't worry about all the other tests. You already participate in a sideways sport so stay with that. Some people are so close/even it really doesn't matter. It would be a good idea to ride switch a lot. It will make you versatile.

#10 ·
The dominant foot should be the lead foot on a snowboard. If it isn't most likely the rider is riding and steering from the back of board which while it can be effective, isn't efficient.

Your dominant foot is the foot that you most feel comfortable balancing on.
That is not always the case. Many old schoolers ride with a dominate rear foot, and make more back foot turns. Surfing can be more rear foot dominated too.

I personally am goofy, and my front foot is dominate. I skateboard and surf goofy, so that helps. I find my style is both rear foot in the deep pow, and pretty much neutral in all other conditions. With some of the new dual rocker and tapered shapes ( Never Summer Summit), I feel REALLY comfortable riding basically centered in the deep pow. It is truly revolutionary.

The whole sliding on the wood floor trick works for many. More athletic dudes can go both ways, and they should go with what feels more comfortable when skating to the lift, or if they ride a true twin etc....

pray for snow.

#17 ·
Not to weird at all. Dominant foot is't about the foot that is in the air. ITs about the side of your body you place forward more often and balance on. When kicking a ball with the right you usually step forward with your left and plant it. As you swing through with the kick you are rotating with that plant leg and balancing on it. In skate boarding "typically" the foot you kick with is the back foot. Thus the foot being balanced on and leading is the foot on the deck.

In snowboarding the best form for dynamic turns is a steering motion from the nose of the board that follows along the length of the board and is finished towards the rear of the board at the end of the turn. In the past I have taught lessons where we explore this only doing turn with the front foot using the ankle or rotating the front leg and then trying again but only using the back leg. The trying to do turns starting from the front finishing with the back and vise versa. It can be a great lead into butters, tricks, bump riding,etc.

#9 ·
i started out learning to ride goofy but i couldn't seem to link my turns comfortably. I tried regular and it was night and day.

You should try both and feel whats more comfortable. Since you are starting to learn i'm pretty sure will be riding both ways anyways since you won't know how to turn yet.

#18 ·
Now you guys are getting me thinking too much. If I was going to kick you in the nuts, I would use my right foot. If I was going to balance for an hour it would be on my right foot. All the power is in my right foot. I throw a baseball with my right hand, catch with my left hand and shoot hockey left. I reel my right hand.

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE MOST POWERFUL FOOT WAS AT THE BACK OF THE BOARD TO KICK IT AROUND.

AM I JUST FUCKED?:eek:

#21 ·
Now you guys are getting me thinking too much. If I was going to kick you in the nuts left foot plants forward followed up by right foot, I would use my right foot. If I was going to balance for an hour it would be on my right foot your stationary no forward motion so stance doesn't really matter. All the power is in my right foot. I throw a baseball with my right hand LEft foot plants forward right side of the body then move through and forward, catch with my left hand probably left foot moves forward to help close distance between incoming ball and you and shoot hockey left I'm assuming that your left foot is closer to the puck and the left hand is behind the stick closest sport to relate to better that uses a stick is side of plate you bat from. I reel my right hand. which hand is forward on the pole :)

I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE MOST POWERFUL FOOT WAS AT THE BACK OF THE BOARD TO KICK IT AROUND.

AM I JUST FUCKED?:eek:
This is why it's not about power and not always about balance. Its about left and right side of the body.

#20 ·
OP, here's a slightly different approach...

Center your bindings. If you've got a twin board, great. If not, it's not too much of a handicap. Set your binding angles symmetrical, for example, +12/-12. Ride both ways and see which feels more "natural", don't worry, your body will let you know. There you have it.

PS: If you are somewhat ambidextrous (sounds like you are), you're in for a lot of fun - learn to ride both ways equally well.

#24 ·
I am super new to the sport. Have only gone up 4 times, had 3 lessons. ALL the tests say I should be riding regular. My husband has been boarding for like 20 years, and after all the testing we did he agreed I should be riding regular so that is how we set up my bindings. That is how I have been taking my lessons. During my last lesson my instructor had me doing falling leaf, which I had done before. But this time it was just kicking my ass. I could not make it 10 feet without falling. He then tells me that he is 100% sure I should be riding goofy. He said that when I got up from fall and was ready to begin down the hill again I naturally gravitated to a goofy stance. I honestly was to frazzled and to focused on not falling on my ass again that I took no notice of which stance I started in...I just wanted to get down the hill. lol

So do I follow what all the tests tell me...or do I follow what this instructor is telling me and move to goofy?

I did worse on this last lesson than I did on my very first one. Seriously...it was an embarassment. But that is a whole different topic.

#25 ·
So do I follow what all the tests tell me...or do I follow what this instructor is telling me and move to goofy?
I certainly would. It's his job to pay attention to how you ride and then correct the things that need correction. Plus, if you absolutely cannot stand riding goofy after trying it, it's easy to switch back to regular. No test can truly tell you which way to ride. You will know after trying both though because one will be more comfortable than the other.

#26 ·
Here is a sure fire way to tell if you ride goofy or regular.

Get a razor scooter. Hold on to it and run super fast with it, jump on and start scooting with what ever leg you are most comfortable with. This will make your subconscious kick in and tell you what leg you want to lead with and what leg you want to kick with.

Your kicking leg will be your back foot (or power foot) The foot that you put forward to steer the scooter will be your front foot.

This will be the same on your snowboard.

Now that you have figured out what way you ride, have a beer because the hard part is over (at least it is until you decide to learn switch)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.