Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - GoPro Hero3 battery life sucks or user error?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
jojotherider

Default GoPro Hero3 battery life sucks or user error?

Hey folks,

picked up a GoPro Hero3 Black edition the other day and took it out for a day of riding. The only thing I have to say about the camera right now is that the battery sucks for both the remote and the camera.

Weather was in the 30* range yesterday. So not super cold.

The remote:
I had it attached to the zipper on my jacket pocket. I tucked it inside so it wouldn't be flapping around and also not directly exposed. At the second chair, I went to go fire it up and the lcd only got to "low battery" and never fully came on. I figured it was because of the cold. However, I gave it a charge last night to see how it would work at room temps. One thing I noticed is that when I unplugged it, it automatically turned on and started searching for the gopro. I came back about two hours later and it was done. does that sound about right to anyone? seems like a not very long time to me for a day of riding. I don't want to have to turn on/off the remote everytime I record something. Seems to reduce the convenience of having a remote.

The camera:
First off, there was a little user error here. I had switched modes to burst mode and was kicking off the 30/1 sec photo burst. Very much to my friend's dismay as he hit a couple big drops to start the day. All I had were stills looking at him before dropping in. I did a bout 10 of those before realizing something was up. So I got it into video mode at 1080. I only got about 10 minutes of video after that. This was over a 2 hour period. That hardly seems reasonable to me.

So, what are others experiencing? is this just how GoPro cameras are? I would get about 4 hours out of my contourhd. I truly wish the Contour Roam was a higher end camera. I reallly like the convenience of the on/off/record slider in terms of batter management. Featurewise the GoPro is amazing and I really hope there is something I can do to get around this battery issue.
jojotherider is offline   Reply With Quote