Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Disappointed in Wilmot
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #21 (permalink)
rgunzalez

I actually went to Wilmot Saturday night, for my first Midwest snowboarding experience. I tried to keep my expectations as low as possible but was still pretty shocked. I really couldn't believe how small this place is. It takes a few minutes to get to the top of a run, and then you can bomb it down in like 15 seconds - I felt like a pro at this place.

Coverage was really thin and icy, just crusty leftover backyard snow overall. Most of the runs were totally bare and dry. I was kind of surprised they would even be open with conditions like this.

I almost want to say the experience was better than nothing but its tough.

There was some fun moments though:
- girl getting cracked and floored by the lift chair while rushing to join her friends last second
- seeing the ski patrol at this hill, just seemed like overkill to me, almost like mall security or something, but I guess someone has to do it - whatever that entails
- was kind of surprised how steep the ramp off the lift was, I had no problem with this but I can only imagine how bad I would've been wiping out if I was a beginner, this might have been because of how little snow pack there was
- the workers at both ends of the lift simply stopped patting the ground down with snow, so it made for quite an extra challenge trying to get off the lift on almost bare wood

I'll be checking out Alpine Valley next...
rgunzalez is offline   Reply With Quote