Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - long flat straight aways
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Sincraft

here is how I handled this last year.

Say the track is only 15' wide. Very hard for a new guy following some of these suggestions to turn left turn right. Carve, dynamic - whatever. Either we dont have the muscle knowledge, the stamina, or the mental fortitude to successfully complete this task.

I would recommend that you do as someone suggested, and hold an edge. You will favor the edge that keeps you in the middle of the slope the easiest, avoiding slowly going off the edge of the slope.

Once you feel you are picking up too much speed, thats when you do your almost stop turn up opposite of the trail slope, then immediately correct it back again to 'straight' holding that edge once more. This is an excercise to build up those leg muscles for stamina also.

The common thing for me was to hold onto my toe edge, which kept me from falling off the edge of the trail as it sloped on my heel side. I would then feel I was picking up too much speed or catching up with zig zagging skiers so I would have to slow down. To do this, I would kickout my back foot with an almost backwards stop , then straighten it out again holing my toe edge.

It wasnt until I was much better that I felt comfortable turning TOWARD the slope of the hill. That was almost always disastrous for me.

So in short, you are riding an edge opposite of the slope of the trail (im not talking about the fall line), then every so often do a speed check by almost stopping, then riding that edge again.

Dont try to turn back and forth, especially on a trail that isn't level and slopes down the mountain. Unless you have some speed, this is where most people say "well why can I turn toward the fall line on my heel side on the slpoe, but on the bunny trail I cannot not"

The answer is simple. centrifugal force. ( I think)