Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Father Teaching Kids to Snowboard
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Sincraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdthomas2 View Post
I have gotten so much good advice from people on here. Thanks snowboarding forum members. I just want to share some advice that made my little mini boarder improve greatly. I recently started longboarding to carve my snowboard addiction. Well I ran across a Penny Nickle longboard. It is very short for an adult but is perfect longboard for my 5 year old boy. So for the past 6 week or so, I would pull him up and down hills every where. He is able to control the board using toe and heel. I just thought it was cool that he could control his direction. Well I took him snowboarding for the first time this year. What an improvement from last year. His board control has made huge improvements from last year. At the end of last year me and him were able to ride basic green routes. First day out this year they only had blue runs open, and he made me proud. It was crazy how many double takes people had as he went down the mountain. We also could have gotten the double take because both me and my son are African American. LOL.

I just thought I would share for Dad's out there looking to get their mini boarders improving.
My son is 1 - he won't be riding for some time. I'm hoping my body holds out long enough to teach him. I would love to be able to have a buddy to ride with.

I'm very worried about taking him out when he is old enough say, at 3 or 4. There are so many morons out there that zoom by like nuts on crowded slopes that are JUST on the edge of control or severe accident. Personally when I see kids, I try to go as FAR away from them as possible so I dont freak the parents out and dont come near them in case I do bite it.

Good luck out there. Hopefully one day he will be buying you trips to some nice resorts for your bday or xmas.