Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Capita to a Proto CT or SL
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcflw View Post
A little about me, live in NC. When I'm here i ride the small stuff in NC and winterplace/snowshoe. I love SLC and am looking hit some other places out west this year. I am an intermediate rider, right now I ride 100% freeride but would like to get 5-10% of small jumps/park stuff just to help me in natural terrain. I dont care a about being good at park, I just want to practice enough to able to hit small stuff if needed.

I am on the border between the CT and SL. I have always have true twins, I'm not sure I would like the SL being directional, but I do want something more damp and stable.lready.
Between the Proto and the SL (I own both) I would recommend the SL based on your description. SL is excellent both for freeriding and for jumps (see links for videos of my riding the SL 155). Based on your self-description and where you ride, the Heritage will likely be too much board (too stiff) for you. That being said, based on Nivek's posts, I am looking to try and demo those Flow boards he mentioned.

In reality, if you are only riding 5-10% small jumps/park... basically any board will be good enough for that. On powder days, and I'm riding my 161 tapered, setback, powder board (Summit 161)... I still end up rolling through the park on way back to the chair... doing 180s, boardslides and nose presses. It's not ideal... but if you are just looking to "practice to help you in natural terrain" it is good enough. Some people take this to extremes (check out this video to see how un-important a true twin is).

If I've managed to convince you that having a twin isn't that important... than in addition to the Never Summer SL, you might want to look at the Never Sumer Cobra. I haven't ridden the Cobra myself, but has the carbonium topsheet of the Proto CT, but with the more freeriding friendly stiffness/dampening of the SL, finally with a different shaped nose and tail to be better for riding in powder (whereas the SL and Heritage have an old-school directional twin shape).

As you've mentioned... there are lot of threads already debating the various NS boards. So I don't think creating more threads to ask (Cobra vs SL) is really going to do much.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-03-2012 at 02:10 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote