Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - WTF - Midwest Season Pass Prices
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #34 (permalink)
Vaughanabe13

I got a season pass to Chestnut Mtn this year, after deliberating whether it was worth it. The normal price is $450 but I got an early deal for $300, so I think that's much easier to justify. I imagine the biggest problem they have is the length of the season. Last year Chestnut opened in mid December and closed at the beginning of March. That is literally two and a half months of operating. That's only about 10 weekends! And they had to make a lot of snow because the snowfall was awful. Half the season the conditions were either slush or ice, which I'm sure really drives people away. Then you have to add in the costs of 100% coverage on snowmaking and the number of guns, groomer costs, park crew and other resort staff, chairlift/lighting/water costs, etc. They probably don't have a whole lot of profit per season even after the expensive tickets. As expensive as it is, snowboarding is fairly expensive in general, and I would rather support the local hill to keep them from going bankrupt.
Vaughanabe13 is offline   Reply With Quote