Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

491K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#5,025 ·
Heading up to Highlands this weekend. Will try and hook up with Trapper.

I've had a lot of trips up north this season but not as much riding as I would have liked. Easily should have had an additional 3-4 days at Highlands than I have now. Mid-week riding has been practically non-existent. I would have liked to have gotten out at least once week night a week.

I'm getting bummed about the winding down of the season.

#5,026 ·
Heading up to Highlands this weekend. Will try and hook up with Trapper.....

.....I'm getting bummed about the winding down of the season.
Have fun you guys. Sab,.. I know you absolutely hate to spend extra on tickets, but if conditions are good, fresh snow etc? You really should do a 3-4 hour pass to nubs during the day and checkout their backside glades with trapper! I think you'd have a blast!

....as for the season's possible demise? After my 4 week riding absence,.. I'm really hoping that with the huge record base's everyone's got this year, and hopefully with a few more good sized storms to add to it in the next month or two? I hope some places will be able to stay open WELL into April, maybe even (snowgod's willing,) May???? :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :yahoo:

#5,037 ·
As another consolation, if you were driving through Northern Michigan on your way up there as opposed to going through Wisconsin, you may not have been able to get there anyways. The Mackinaw Bridge was closed early Friday morning and didn't open until Saturday I don't think. There were people at our hotel in Pellston that had their UP trips fucked over by it.

#5,029 ·
Nubs was amazing tonight after a mediocre afternoon session. We battled the wind the entire time but it was whiteout during the grooming shutdown. When we got back out there we had powder in places and fresh soft corduroy that quickly was covered with fresh. There was 6 to 8 inches in the bowls on the north side. And the best part? Basically no one else there. 10 empty chairs in front and behind us for much of the evening. Tremendous conditions. Top 5 easy for the season. Meeting up with Sam 9am at Highlands tomorrow. Still snowing hard, should be great conditions tomorrow.

Chomps, didn't play much in the glades, the tower glades were a bit tracked out and bay view and southern comfort glades were roped offer and looked moguled up as well. In the evening we spent our time on the face and side bowls. The wind was the only bitch to battle tonight, but was well worth it.

#5,030 ·
Epic pow day at Highlands and Nubs today. Started really coming down Friday afternoon and it didn't stop until after lunch today.

The official tally was 10 inches of unexpected fresh but snow was up to our knees when getting fresh tracks and because the roads were bad we were getting fresh tracks on the Interconnect runs through lunch.

There's still fresh to be found at 4p but the main runs are pretty choppy now and could use the groomer.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#5,038 ·
Yeah we would've been leaving Thursday morning so the bridge wouldn't have been an issue but no lifts would been. I can lap the park for a few hours and ride chairlift serviced groomers all day but I'm pretty sure I don't have the endurance to hike 1000' more than once and even that might be pushing it lol.

PK was alright today no powpow like you guys up north had but luebird skies and hardpack under loose granular didn't suck. Planned park day anyways so I'm just glad it wasn't one of those days where the corduroy is like concrete. All in all PK's grooming has been on point the last few years. park was good hill wasn't crowded at all but the kids in the parks at PK have the fucking worst etiquette of anywhere I ride.

#5,040 ·
I think they have a Bohemian in 160 -- if you can get on that one, do it.

Not sure what else. Pretty sure they have an Archaic and a Throwback in a 158. Don't shy from riding boards a little bit on the smaller side at demo events. You might find that you like them :) Heck, it wouldn't hurt to try a 156 or 154 just for shits and grins.

#5,042 ·
Damn!! Looks like I'll miss that since I'm going to b at Boyne this week. I'd like to hit that demo day, but it'd be about 3 hours of round trip driving to drop down from Highlands. And I imagine that between the rail jam, demo day, and being a Sat. it will be a complete shitshow?

Anybody hitting Highlands over the weekend, say hello! :thumbsup:

#5,044 ·
This may be a long shot but I was wondering if anyone in the southwest area might have a Hot Knife that they might let me play around with.

The last couple boards I bought based on reviews but this time around I'd like to try riding some before I purchase (not too much more wiggle room with buying boards with the wife).

Trying to decide between the Ripsaw and Hot Knife.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help!

#5,047 ·
Whew! Freakin' COLD today at Highlands! Wouldn't have been too bad without the wind, but add shredding @ 30+ mph, with 15-25 mph winds when the temp is only 9-10˚ to begin with?

Nobody on the hill this afternoon with sugar snow LE all day, it was a bit slow in those temps! Definitely a dust on bumpy hard packed crust afternoon but the groomers should be sweet tomorrow morning.

Looking forward to first chair! :thumbsup:

#5,048 ·
Snow is so cold it's like velcro. My Never Summer is really slow today. Oddly, my Arbor is the fast board today! Must be the full camber. Less board in contact with snow at slower speeds. Actually, I'm enjoying riding it again. Been neglecting the Arbor in favor of the NS. It took a few runs before getting used to it again. ;)

Tomorrow's supposed to be even colder and windier!!! :eek: may go shopping for an electric jock strap tonight! After today? I'm Afraid I'm gonna freeze my junk off! Lol!

#5,049 ·
Yeah that wind was a crazy bitch the other night at Nub's. It was a challenge for sure.

Might see if they have any cold temp wax at the shop for your boards?

#5,056 ·
:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: