Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Locking your snowboards up?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #35 (permalink)
ComeBack_Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetDoc View Post
just a heads up. I used this, forgot the combo and clipped it in one swipe with a small pocket tin snip like this:

Trademark Tools Heavy Duty Aviation Tin Snip: Tools : Walmart.com

no one around even questioned my actions and I wasn't trying to hide it. I could steal your board with that lock in under 3 seconds, or the time it takes someone to turn his head.

A better idea for cheaper is a bike seat lock-

OnGuard Akita Seat Leash Cable - 5mm - Free Shipping at REI.com

use a pad lock of your choice. Small enough to carry in your pocket but you need a more substantial wire cutter to get through this baby.

I returned my cut burton lock to REI
I get what you're saying, but I think we have snowboard locks for different reasons.

I don't use that cable lock because it's a foolproof system that would take an army of master thieves years to crack; I use it because:

a) it's light so it doesn't bother me to ride with it.
b) it's a simple deterrent for a thief to move onto the boards of one of the 90% of people who leave their boards completely unlocked and free for the taking.

Also to be honest, I would genuinely get a kick out of someone trying to steal my board at a resort. I'm never out of visual contact with it for long, so if someone wants to try it, odds are they'd be swallowing their teeth shortly thereafter.
ComeBack_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote