Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Dem pow Rockets.

7K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  blunted_nose 
#1 ·
Stats: 6'2, size 10, 200lbs.
Use: Pow, deep pow, if the time is wrong - groomers.
What i like: Fast base, float, good maneuvering.
Which one i like and price: Bataleon camel toe - 399$, Jones Hovercraft - 399$, Burton Fish - 599$.
i need to know what size i need? Can you size down with pow sticks? Is sintered base needed when slaying pow?

Good things about each board:
Bataleon camelT - TBT (obviously) and comes in 158. I don't like the extruded base but the price is within my limit.
Jones Hovercraft - camber with rocker for float and response on groomers, Sintered base, magne ( i love it), and the price is also right.
Burton fish: price too high but i could manage, sintered base, doesn't have any edge tech which is bad and i like the graphics.

Bindings: was thinking pairing it up with TT30's for softer surfy-er feeling. Do i need responsive binding? OR SF45's. Size 10 k2 darko's so large should do right?

Took the time to lay this out nice so i would appreciate an answer. Don't hesitate to provide an alternative to my options as of boards, ill stick with flux. I'm either ordering from wired or some online shop that sends to Canada trough USPS because my local shops have outrageous prices.

See less See more
#5 ·
I just bought a Hovercraft 156, your height I might go with the 160 (which should ride like a 164, the 156 rides like a 160). It's great on groomers and I loved it in the moguls even more than my TRice Pro. It's also crazy fast, and has a nice camber feel on the hard pack. I paired it with some Now IPOs for a surfy feel. I really considered the Camel Toe, but it has a flex of 4 and seemed way too soft for my riding style (also the extruded base wasn't winning any points for me) The Hovercraft is a more all around aggressive board that you can use any day on the hill really in my opinion, depending on your style of riding. The Camel Toe might be a more playful board, but the really aggressive TBT on it might be weird on the groomers, not sure.

#6 ·
Alright, well i meet you at trappers the other day. Then if i get a hovercraft then it will be three riding together. Anyways, if the 156 rides like a 160 im getting that. I like it to be floaty but also agile. I dont know. Good idea on the Now's. They look sick. I like the idea of tbt but i would like something high end with sintered base and stiffer construction. Hovercraft in 156 or 160 and some tt30's? If i get it i need to ride with you guys.

#11 ·
Random drunk thoughts:

You don't neeeeed edge tech for a board, let alone one that will be pow specific. Rider skill should get you through your "oh shit" moments, which I have regardless of tech.

Extruded base for a powboard is also not a huge deal(breaker).

I sized up with my pow board, it made landings way easier for me.

I think any dedicated p0w stick will stoke you out, get the one that's in your price range, then geek out on other shapes later. For instance, I have a Charlie Slasher and rode it for three of the best days ever, now I wanna add the Bataleon Camel Toe, Burton Sherlock and maybe a slack country or powder snake later...even though it's dumb and I'm assuming I'm only going to get about 6-8 amazing pow days a year.

#15 ·
You're right about the edge tech and the extruded base not being a deal breaker for a pow board. The original question was for a pow board with a side of groomers... Which is where the other stuff kind of starts to shape the decision making process a little bit more. If it was a purely deep snow pow board I'd love to try out a Yes 420.... That board would be sweet as long as it never saw hard pack/groomers. It all depends on how large of a quiver you can finance... There's always one more board

#21 ·
Fuck, i cant decide if i want the hovercraft or the camel toe. Same price. Hovercraft is sintered and stiffer and magne tracked so good for groomers but the tail is kind of flat and i dont like it. camel has tbt which is amazing for pow and the the nice tail and big nose. I read about goliath being sick in pow and it isnt even a true pow stick, cant imagine what camel toe would be like. But its slow and softer but that could be more of a surfy feeling, shit. No edge tech but i got a board with magne already for those icy days and if it snows the groomers wont be icy so i dont have to worry about it. Damn, i like camel but if they only came out with a sintered and magned one that would be super sick. The shape of hovercraft is what i dont like but i want to try tbt. Can anyone help or will i have to bet on one and bite it? I dont really want to do that. Arsenal, could i possibly try out your hovercraft on groomers for like 30 seconds?

#22 ·
I wouldn't have a problem with you trying out the board. But my recommendation would be to get really good on the Goat. Tame that Goat. It will make you a better rider. Your a big kid and should be able to tame that thing. And think about a pow board next year. Save your cash man. We are well paid adults and were thinking twice about a pow board. Don't spend the cash right now.

#26 ·
Trowing the fish to the mix. Kind of expensive but i does have sick shape and sintered base. Channel and medium stiffness. If you had a pow board that you would take to resort pow, outbounds pow, bc pow and big mtn pow, choose from one of these three setups...
Bataleon camel toe - flux tt30's
Burton fish - Est Cartel's
Jones hovercraft - tt30's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.