Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Torn on the right board for me!!

4K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Angler 
#1 · (Edited)
Weight: Fluctuates from 151 to 160 lbs, 152 right now
Boot size: 8 1/2
Riding style: Love bombing, want to learn to butter well and love jumps, option for occasional rails and boxes would be nice
Budget: $500 but I'll throw down more if it's worth it

Basically I'm an all-mtn guy that loves everything from bombing and jumps/kickers to carving and pow. I do want a playful board for butters and messing around, although I don't think I can sacrifice straight line bombing stability cause I love speed so much. I guess what I'm looking for is the best all-around board I can mold myself into. Buttery, good speed and stability, good turn initiation, good for landing jumps, and the occasional super deep stuff and rails but not as much as what I mentioned first. I'd like to be able to survive in deep pow enough to enjoy it though. Really an all around fun board, I know it's hard to specialize in much of these traits cause well.. I want it all.. For all I know I might fall in love with the park and hit jumps and rails every run; which makes me feel I need a do it all. The one thing I don't want to sacrifice too much is stability in bombing, but I also want to be able to butter, so whatever that in-between is.. Kind of makes me think of a GNU RC.. I'm thinking maybe the best idea is to get a really kick ass all around board in the all-mtn freestyle range. Can never go wrong with that, maybe later on if I feel I want a board for a specific style like pow or a strict park board I can do that down the road.

Here's what I was looking at the most:
Never Summer Proto | The Good Ride - I liked this for the all around stats and the flex for buttering and such, although I do really love bombing straight..

Gnu Riders Choice | The Good Ride - This because it seems like the best "all-around board" I may be looking for.

Rome Agent Rocker | The Good Ride - this seems to have that all around playful touch maybe minus being as stable as the GNU for bombing.

Lib Tech Jamie Lynn Phoenix | The Good Ride - this would be badass, I'm just worried about how playful it will be with how stiff it is..

I previously bought a 159 2012 Attack Banana at Skidazzle last yr and rode it for 8 days in Mammoth, I really didn't like it too much.. 159 seems way too big cause I had a a lot of trouble on turn initiation and getting an overall control on the board. It was a constant battle and I felt it was more controlling me and unfortunately I was really disappointed with my first board choice. I found it nearly impossible to whip around on the double black diamond mogul runs too. I also had boots that were half size too big so that's a huge red herring.. I'm actually going to put this board up for sale soon to help afford whatever I decide on. Please recommend whatever you think best suits me, I'm completely open! :D

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Dude I saw that and loved it's specs, other than being a little stiffer, but it's nice that it's light weight too.

I really like the across the board specs of the GNU RC, I could sacrifice some stiffness though, I'm really digging the NS Proto CP for some reason. It's got a softer flex, it's more lightweight, and you don't sacrifice speed stability, also great for jumps.(all based of reviews I've read)

I think I keep coming back to the GNU RC and NS Proto CP because they both have great turn initiation and the other specs I'm looking for, plus both having good wood awards def helps.

What do you guys think of the Proto CP? It would be nice to have a lightweight, buttery board without sacrificing speed stability, the Proto CP seems to fit the bill best so far.

It's also listed as the top pick here for Mammoth which is where I'll be primarily riding: http://www.snowboardermag.com/gear/2012-buyers-guide/best-of-test/

#7 ·
Dude I saw that and loved it's specs, other than being a little stiffer, but it's nice that it's light weight too.

I really like the across the board specs of the GNU RC, I could sacrifice some stiffness though, I'm really digging the NS Proto CP for some reason. It's got a softer flex, it's more lightweight, and you don't sacrifice speed stability, also great for jumps.(all based of reviews I've read)

I think I keep coming back to the GNU RC and NS Proto CP because they both have great turn initiation and the other specs I'm looking for, plus both having good wood awards def helps.

What do you guys think of the Proto CP? It would be nice to have a lightweight, buttery board without sacrificing speed stability, the Proto CP seems to fit the bill best so far.

It's also listed as the top pick here for Mammoth which is where I'll be primarily riding: Buyer’s Guide 2012 – Best of Test | Snowboarder Magazine
I think the good wood award isn't that important :dunno:

#11 ·
If you want to stay under $500, take a look at the Flow Era?

Rocker/camber, sintered base, sidecut w/ multiple contact points. Wanted to mention it as it is on sale on dogfunk right now for 20% off if you put in the code. Damn good deal. Thinking about getting it for a brother in law. :)

#12 ·
Flow Era | The Good Ride

I like the turn initiation and that it's lightweight with some flex but I dunno they are saying it's slow and more of a beginner board. :/ I'm not too concerned about price, snowboarding is one of those things I'll actually dish out some dough to get that ultimate riding experience.

I'm totally getting the board I decide on from Dogfunk though, it seems like no matter what you can return your board for a refund, even if it's not in one piece... haha

#13 ·
Ive owned the GNU RC and i really liked it. The only reason i got rid of it was i bought a ride berserker, after a few days on the zerker i was convinced i didnt need the RC anymore. The RC was great in powder and was nice and forgiving when i ventured into the park but was still stiff enough that it gave me great responsiveness.

Now the zerker is amazing, seems more stable especially when bombing, better turn initiation and as good edge hold as the magne traction, more pop and faster. hence why i sold the RC.

IMO the RC is great but the ride is better!!

#19 · (Edited)
Very interesting, my friends 2007 or so RC doesn't have MTX but it seems the newer ones do??? Anyways you still recommend the berserk over the RC? How is the Berserk in flex compared to the RC and how was it in terms of messing around down the run, say throwing some butters and quick kickers, also what about landing big air?

I second that opinion about the good ride being crap. I just went through a bunch of boards that I either own or have owned and what they write is messed up. Just forget about that site. 90% of the board reviews on there are based off board specs and not off actual riding experience.
Dammit... well that pretty much messes up my ENTIRE lineup of boards.. :sad: That basically puts me back at square one then. :/ I guess I can still use it as an encyclopedia of whats out there.. Are even their boot reviews bad? Just curious, what's the best method from your experience to find what's out there and get legit reviews? Boardinsiders on youtube seem to be pretty informative with real riders and video clips.

Smokin snowboards - super park or buck ferton.
Nice do you own or have ridden them, can you give me a quick rundown of your experience? :)

Edit,

Also thank you linvillegorge and Bayoh, appreciate the feedback.

I agree with you on that philosophy Bayoh, is there a Flow board you have had good experience with and would recommend?

Also, I know some board manufacturers size vary, but what is a good general board length? I'd say my average weight per year is 153, I'm done growing, and sometimes I get into hardcore workout mindsets and get to 160lb, but I never keep it.. I felt my 159 Attack Banana is too big to mess around with.

#15 ·
I second that opinion about the good ride being crap. I just went through a bunch of boards that I either own or have owned and what they write is messed up. Just forget about that site. 90% of the board reviews on there are based off board specs and not off actual riding experience.

#23 ·
Great advice, I read up on the bases a while ago and how they are made but all I really remember is to get the sintered.

I think that's what I'll do, rent all the ones I like and were recommended and see what I like best.

In terms of sizing, I'm under the impression I should riding as low as a 151 for park and sayyy I dunno 159 for pow? I'm 152 lbs. I prefer good control so I'm thinking maybe a 153/154 would be a good in between?

#24 ·
You pretty much got it. Every board and board manufacturer will be slightly different on sizing, but overall that's your window.

I weigh 145ish lbs and I prefer 152cm boards for freestyle all-mountain just for comparison, give or take a cm depending on the board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.