Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Lib Tech Banana Magic impressions / review
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brainwashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDragon View Post
Your enthusiasm for this board sounds pretty much like I felt when I got one last year. It was my first try at "gullwing" design, having already ridden camber, then rocker, then camrock. This thing blows all of the others away! And it is the best board I've ridden in the pipe.

Apparently, my one mistake was getting it too large. I got a 161, while I weigh 175 with a size 9 boot. So I sold my 161 and bought this year's 157. An expensive switch, but I think it's the right move. I'll be riding the same board as you Brainwashed.

Just curious which bindings you put on yours. I'm gonna start with Burton Malavitas. If they are too soft, I'll move on to Cartels.

BTW, the C2 design in the TRS is noticeably different than the Enhanced BTX in the Magic imo. C2 is a more stable, less playful ride. I also ride a TRice with C2.

Anyone I've talked to who's ridden the Magic absolutely loves it btw.
Thanks for the reply.

I damn near got the 161 also. I should I would need it for the float, but the shop owner told my Lib's get stiffer as they longer (that's what she said!). Stiffer than the 157 didn't sound so appealing to me, because hand flexing in the shop gave me the impression that the Magic was stiff and damp in a 157. Now, hand flexing can be misleading however, but that was my impression in the shop and it has proven true on the hill.

The Lib's also run long per my experience. They say it's a 157, but the 157 Magic is longer than my old Tom Sims 159. In my experience it's more like a 162+. It definitely does ride 'long' too. It is a stout feeling 157.

As for bindings, I'm running 2011/12 Burton Cartel's. As an old plate binding curmudgeon I can't speak to how stiff one binding is to another one. They all feel soft to me... I'd love to try other bindings to see if I can tell the differences. I know I tend to cinch those Cartel's down until my toes are blue though. I can't get over my OCD for board control (I'm sure to my detriment) and cinch the binders down really almost too tight.

For what it's worth, I do think boot stiffness matters a great deal. I run Burton Ion's. They seem like a medium stiff boot. If I could I would go for a stiffer boot than even the Ion. I think I would give up a little playfulness and slow speed flexibility, but for the bomber runs when I'm alone or hitting a icey double black diamond or a chundery skied out bowl I would appreciate the added stiffness.

Hope that response helps, Dragon!

Last edited by Brainwashed; 12-06-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Brainwashed is offline   Reply With Quote