Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Best time to go to Japan?

3K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  NYTSNOW 
#1 ·
I am about to plan a trip to Japan for next year.

What weeks/month is the best time to go?

I like powder if that helps but i dont want it dumping down while riding.

Any suggestions to what mountains? where to fly into?

Thanks in advance!

#2 · (Edited)
I am about to plan a trip to Japan for next year.

What weeks/month is the best time to go?
Ive been in january and february. Personally I like feb the best.

I like powder if that helps but i dont want it dumping down while riding.
Whilst it generally snows at night you will still get a few days where its just snowing hard all day, the beauty of japan is its often snowing hard with no wind which is a really nice experience.

Any suggestions to what mountains? where to fly into?
If you feel insecure go to niseko with the hordes. If you are a bit more adventurous and like equally good terrain with way less people try one of the other 50+ places to ride like rusutsu, kiroro, sahoro, tomamu, mt racey, furano and the list goes on.

And that is assuming you want to go to hokkaido (you should). Depending where you are coming from most people fly into narita (tokyo), bus transfer to haneda (tokyo) and fly up to new chitose (sapporo) then bus transfer to your chosen resort.

#8 ·
Ive been in january and february. Personally I like feb the best.
Agree that February is probably the best for conditions. But two qualifications:
1. OP does not want it to be dumping while riding (not clear why), but February in Hokkaido there is a fair chance of almost continuous snow fall for several days (and nights) in a row.
2. When Chinese New Year is in February (like in 2013) it will also be the busiest time in the big resorts like Niseko.

Whilst it generally snows at night you will still get a few days where its just snowing hard all day, the beauty of japan is its often snowing hard with no wind which is a really nice experience.
+1/QFT.

If you feel insecure go to niseko with the hordes. If you are a bit more adventurous and like equally good terrain with way less people try one of the other 50+ places to ride like rusutsu, kiroro, sahoro, tomamu, mt racey, furano and the list goes on.

And that is assuming you want to go to hokkaido (you should). Depending where you are coming from most people fly into narita (tokyo), bus transfer to haneda (tokyo) and fly up to new chitose (sapporo) then bus transfer to your chosen resort.
Pretty much agree with that. Couple of comments on travel:
- You can fly to Chitose/Sapporo from both Narita and Haneda airports. Handa has a few more flights (and is a nicer airport) but Narita is just fine. Unless you are going into Tokyo just transit at whatever airport you arrive in Japan - not worth the hassle to transfer between airports.
- Consider renting a car in Hokkaido, as it makes it much easier to move between multiple locations (or base yourself in one location but also hit others).

#4 ·
Im planning to go 19th Jan - 3rd Febuary.

So hopefully that has some good weather as its all i can get off work at the moment.

I was doing black runs in NZ this season, dunno what they compare to in Japan but pretty confident in most conditions.

Hokkaido might be my best bet - judging on what others say, its accessible but a decent trip from Tokyo.

#12 ·
Definitely want to spend some time in Tokyo - not the whole trip though.

The rest will be between mountains.

hktrdr where else would you recommend in Japan other than Tokyo for 'touristy' things to do off mountain?

where did you guys stay when you went? in the one location or all round?

#14 · (Edited)
Exactly. As I said in my previous post, other than Yuzawa you need to budget at least 1/2 day from each way for travel from/to Tokyo.
There is really not many places that offer both boarding and touristy sights. Better to split your trip into a sightseeing and a boarding portion - if the boarding portion is 3 days or less (including travel) then Yuzawa is your best choice; if it is 4 days or longer you can start to consider Nagano or Hokkaido.

#17 ·
Yeah, you can pretty much hit anything with 7 days. If this is your first time in Japan, I would say do Hokkaido - maybe hit Niseko first and then pick another location like Rusutsu based on conditions at the time. Having a car would help with that, but if you are traveling alone it might not be cost effective.

#21 ·
Im from sydney and am basing myself at rusutsu for the first part of my holiday (fly out jan 20). 7 days is plenty for most and you WILL get powder.

As for prices japan can be very expensive and very cheap. Walk into a snowboard shop and buy a burton board and you will be paying a premium but most food and drinks etc is very cheap. A 500ml coke for example is like JPY150 odd which is around AU$1.90. Most stuff I buy over there is cheaper than it is here in australia.

#22 · (Edited)
I think the main stuffs been covered, but i would say: Dont underestimate kagura/naeba/yuzawa.

These places are great fun and whats more important, they are a 70minute shink ride from tokyo. Its not MUCH further to Nagano to be honest if youre shinking it, but youre literally in the town and its just a 30 minute bus ride to the resort thereafter. Everythings really well connected there and the resorts are great fun. IN fact kagura, if youre after hitting some fun powder and start getting a few turns riding under lifts or in the trees has some really fun, deep lines to play on.

So if you find youve stayed at tokyo a bit too long (im with ETM, 2 or 3 days and all thats left is sitting around people watching), its definitely a nice easy way to get out of that rutt. And if you can hit it up during the week you might even find a cheap shink and ride deal (as well as empty resorts and fresh lines). Yuzawa area on a weekday would be bliss! Pity as a teacher im getting the same public holidays and working week as everyone else so never got this specific joy.
Hell, you might even find Gala Yuzawa is less insane when its just you and a few others enjoying the lifts (go immediately to the south face on it for powder heaven).

Seriously, do not underestimate this area. Its not awesome because its close to Tokyo. Its awesome by itself. It just so HAPPENS to also be reasonably close to Tokyo.

ETA: Should have paid more attention. But ah well, yuzawa! yay!

#23 · (Edited)
i think pretty much any of the resorts in japan will be fun just because of the cultural difference.

but if you want to head in feb..come with us..we did all the legwork already:

NYT SNOW 2013 | NEW YORK

you can fly out of anywhere you want, just inquire about what you want to do. we have experience and connects in Hokkaido, so everything will be taken care of. plus you won't find rates like that anywhere else to get out there.

trying to do something fun with global riders and make some videos and what not. would be great if people can join us!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.