Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - 2013 Lib Tech Banana Magic impressions / review
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
turbospartan

I have a Banana Magic 157 and a Never Summer Evo 152. I like the Magic more for days where I am riding powder (better float) or want to carve (magnetraction). I ride the Evo on days where I want to mess around and have a more playful board. And I actually prefer the Evo in the trees because its soft shape and shorter length make it easier to rip through turns.

I will say that the Magic has quite a bit more "bite" as far as edge hold. That can be a good and a bad thing.

Good because on an icy day, the edges hold much better and you never wash out. You can carve a perfect sine wave and it feels like you're on rails.

The bad is that I consider this a board where you almost need to always be paying attention to what you're doing, an advanced board. The reason I say this is because last year there was a time where I was hauling ass down the mountain and kind of not paying attention and caught and edge and damn near broke the back of my skull when I slammed down. Now this a bit of user error on my part for not really paying attention when going really fast... but its also something to consider.

I've ridden the Magic the last few times I've been out this year (early season = icier), but I've come to find it was a lot more fun than I remembered it from last year. When I bought the Evo last year... I rode that almost every time I went up just because it was my new board, playful, etc. But getting back on the Magic (which I did because I kept washing out on my Evo on the ice, but I will say I needed my edges sharpened), it really renewed my interest in that board. My only wish is that it was a 154 instead of a 157 (I have the 1st years model, 2010 I think, which only came in 152 and 157. They didn't come out with a 154 until 2011).

So again, I personally consider the Magic an advanced board in that you have to be focused when riding it - but it is a really great board. If you want to be buttering and what not, I'd suggest something softer / smaller.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote