Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Need Help with Board for 12 year old, size, rocker?

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  jmbinfo 
#1 ·
Hello - I am in need of some advice for a snowboard package for a 12 year old ( turning 13 at the end of the year ). We always rent his equipment which is a beating due to when we can go ( holidays mostly ). I was thinking of something used since he is still growing and I went to our local ski shop and they told me to get a 150cm which seemed huge for him but that "he'd grow into it". An online calculator put him at 136 which seemed small but maybe that's right?

Height: 59" ( 4' 11" )
Weight: 95lbs
Shoe Size: 7
Type of Rider: Intermediate All-Mountain

We live in Texas so we only get to go twice a year. This will be his 4th year. He has about 35 days of snowboarding experience spread out over those years. We always put him in private lessons the first day to pick up some additional skills from the previous time. He wants to get some training this year in the park and I would classify him as intermediate all-mountain?

I'd also like some advice on if you think he'd prefer a rocker setup. Since we always rent I'm guessing he gets a camber board so maybe that is more what he would be used to but I heard a rocker can be more fun.

This is a christmas gift so just trying to get some ideas. I've seen some on ebay that I thought might work because we could just resell them at the beginning of next season and size up.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'll clip some ebay setups I found and would love some feedback:

2012 DOA - Never heard of it but he'd love it cuz it has a skull on it..lol: NEW 2012 DOA Snowboard Package with Flow Vega Boots and Icon Bindings Ride On... | eBay

2011 Ride Crush - 2011 Ride Crush Snowboard with K2 bindings | eBay

5150 From Dicks - I dunno...buying a snowboard from Dicks kinda feels like buying from Walmart - 5150 Boys' Shooter Snowboard 2012-2013 - Dick's Sporting Goods

See less See more
#2 ·
Bought from WiredSport

Well, I ended up buying from WiredSport because of the wealth of information I received in PM and email. We placed our order on Saturday and got the board, boots and bindings in less than a week. Very happy so far. I'll report back after we hit the slopes in a couple of weeks. Thanks WiredSport for the awesome service. Every looks great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.