Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The stiffest bindings
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
lonerider
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
I cant say i have had a pair of these ^ in my hands but i can say that if OP is really looking for a great binding that is super stiff that i can vouch for raidens. The cap strap is awesome, one of the best I've used actually, the airbags are awesome and still responsive and the ratchets are butter.

I have not used the Machines as they were seriously too stiff for me (i weigh 265/270lbs) so i bought the phantoms for great responsiveness and some forgiveness when i fuck up.

IMO for all the features they offer and the comfort you cant go past the machines, the CATEK just don't seem to have the same range of features for a similar price.
I rode a prototype version of the Catek Freerides. They are by far stiffer than my Burton C60 or CO2. I haven't actually ridden the Raidens, but I have seen them in the shop and I'm pretty sure the Catek Freerides are miles stiffer than those as well. It is without question the most responsive strap binding that exists. With the dampening disk thingie, they are also probably one of the most damp bindings made. Finally, the have the Catek baseplate, which allows your to dial in a infinite combination of lift/cant you want.

However, I would not recommend it to most people because the design doesn't have the ergonomics features found in the bindings made in the last 5 years or so, so they aren't quite as comfortable. Frankly I don't think anyone really needs that much customization in cant... (1*,2*,2.5* is probably plenty). Front/Back Lift (i.e. like an adjustable toe/heel ramp) is actually kind of nice... but again, not an essential feature for 99 percent of riders.

I think the Catek FR2 Pro Evo as like a Ferrari. Mostly for people who have ridden a lot of bindings, like to go really fast, have a lot of money, and are looking for something "exotic." However, much in the in the same way a Ferrari or a McLaren is high-performance, expensive and exotic, and probably not the car you want to go buy groceries with, or pick up your kids at daycare - this binding is definitely overkill for "soccer mom" snowboarders.

Last edited by lonerider; 12-10-2012 at 04:47 PM.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote