Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Taking My 3 Year Old Out For Lessons.
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cane700

Default Taking My 3 Year Old Out For Lessons.

I am taking my son out for the first time this weekend to teach him how to ride. I am excited to pass on my knowlege to the little guy. I've taught many adults to ride but never a toddler. I want this to be enjoyable for him and I don't want him to get turned off. I bought him a Burton After School Special 100cm (he's tall for his age) for his birthday. I'd like to think I know everything but I don't. I really could use some advice. Here's what I've done so far to prep him:

1) Last winter I had him slide down a gentle slope by the house with an old Premier snowskate (with some hand holding from me)

2) Dry runs in the house with his new board. I had him strap in and jump around with the board on his feet to get comfortable with his feet attached to a board. He jumps around fine but has a hard time getting back on his feet when he falls on his butt. Pretty sure this will be excacerbated on the snow.

3) He has seen me board a few times last season. And I've made it a point to where a helmet, pads and goggles so that he can see its normal to wear protective gear.

He is like most toddlers. If something scares him, he will be reluctant to do it. But when he does, he can't get enough.

The resort we are going to put up a toddlers run last year. It has a real gentle slope to learn on. If anyone has any advice they can give me I would greatly appreciate it.
Cane700 is offline   Reply With Quote