Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

First Time Poster-trying not to start a riot...

6K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  jchaison 
#1 ·
First time poster, just stumbled upon this forum a couple of days ago and have found that most of you guys seem to be very knowledgable...at least to my unexperienced eye:D.

Okay...here is my problem. I have been riding since 1997, I am 31 going on 32 and don't have the energy nor the talent to play around in the park. So I am an "all mountain" rider that really just rides with his skier wife and skier in-laws, all of whom are great at skiing. I would say that I am an intermediate rider that stays on groomed blues/blacks-having to hit the moguls more than he would like but handles his own. When feeling saucy, hits up the backcountry and has a great time.

I primarily ride in Snowmass-in laws have a place there. Used to ride Vail, loved the back bowls and spent most of my time in Blue Sky and back bowls.

My setup is a 1999 155 Santa Cruz, the same year I bought some Burton Custom Boots and last year had to replace my burton bindings (broke on the mountain).

My plan this year is to get a great setup-money not being an option as I plan on riding quite a bit and using whatever I buy for the next 5 seasons or so...hey, my last setup lasted 13 years so that is pretty conservative.

I am 5'11" and a healthy 210, should be 190 and plan on being around 195 when I head up to Colorado in December.

Board- 2013 Lib Tech TRS Stealth 159 or 2013 NS Heritage 158

Bindings- 2013 Flow NX2-AT or 2013 GNU Mutant...purchased Cartels last year

Boots- 2012 Vans Aura fit me really well, picked up a pair yesterday for $199.99

Any and all advice is appreciated...I will sit back and listen. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never had the chance to ride any Lib Tech boards or gnu bindings so I can't say anything there. The Heritage is a solid board, and giving you are going to be doing mostly carving around with skiers, it is a great board for that. It's also great in the back country.

I haven't tried the new flow design, and I used to be a huge flow fan. But lately, I just don't like the feel of their bindings compared to the more traditional style. They seem to be stiff in areas that should flex, and soft in areas that shouldn't. I also always had trouble with the forward lean adjustment. It is a a little screw, that slowly tightens the cable. In bumpy terrain, I find myself having to re-adjust several times a day because it loosens. This happened to me even on the more expensive nxt-atse model.

Anyway, have fun riding with a bunch of gapers all day.

#3 ·
1. Can't go wrong with the Heritage, get it you'll be stoked. The kind of riding you do, the infamous NS bombproofness will last you the rest of your life.

2. If its between Flow and GNU for bindings, Flow hands down. The GNU and K2 rear entry bindings are behind Flow big time in the game, while Flow holds its own with traditional bindings. I've tried all the gimmicks the last few years and I find that I am back to preferring traditional laces on my boots and traditional 2 strap bindings. I would prefer the Cartels you mentioned myself.

3. Vans don't get alot of love as a boot but I have always loved them as a company and shoe. They fit good? :thumbsup:

#4 · (Edited)
For the type of riding you do the Heritage would probably be the better board or even the SL. I was not very stoked on the TRS when I rode it last winter; felt like you couldn't really push it too hard and although that compromises with it being versatile enough to ride in the park, if you're not riding ever in the park, then you probably want something a little burlier than that. If you like the Lib boards maybe consider the Gnu Riders Choice; it's a solid & stable all-mountain board.

I don't know anything about the Gnu bindings. Wasn't thrilled with the NX2s either but they were pre-production and Flow was still working out some kinks I guess so they may have improved since then. If there's nothing wrong with those Cartels you got last year, I'd say just keep those they're a fine binding for what you're doing.

#6 ·
Stoked to hear that you are loving riding.

you guys seem to be very knowledgable...at least to my unexperienced eye
The more experienced you get, the less knowledgable we will seem, guaranteed. :)

Please post up your foot size as well.

#7 ·
Justin, you are right. Being with skiers I want to get in and out fast and I am pretty sure that I am not technical enough to notice the difference between the stiffness/performance of the binding, then again maybe I will notice it and can always just strap on the cartels if needed.

Wired, foot size is 10.5.

With the board, for some reason I feel like the lib tech is the way to go-maybe the sales guy did a good job on me...but it seems like a board that suits me more. Part of the reason I don't go in the park is because I am not that confident on jumps and whatnot, but maybe with the new board I can get better. It would be nice to have the option-which is why I have been leaning towards the TRS. The other reason is I was reading "snowolf's" review of the Heritage and he mentioned that with the Heritage you always need to be on, which isn't my nature. Sometimes I like to just cruise and not think, but as you can probably tell I tend to over think a lot of things.

Thanks for the reply's and if anyone else has any advice please feel free to chime in.

#9 ·
I would say Lib TRS with Flows.
Gnu bindings have not had the best reviews and the NS Heritage, while a great board, may be a little too stiff/freeride focused for you. The LibTech magnatraction has the best grip on ice IMO, better than NS especially once the edges lose their new sharpness. The TRS is a bit more flexible but still damp and more forgiving, which will make weaving in and out of moguls/trees a bit easier than the NS Heritage. NS boards are certainly more durable, but if you aren't getting crazy in the park/trees, this shouldn't be an issue. Just remember to tell those damn skiers to keep their skis/poles off your board. I think every ding in my Lib board's topsheet is caused by a skier slamming their edge on top of my board on the lift!

#10 ·
The TRS 162 will be awesome for you. There is a break in stiffness between the 159 and the 162 and you will do better on the stiffer of the two. This Lib has less effective edge and contact length than the same size in the NS, so do not let the tip to tip length fool you.

Both of the decks you are looking at are terrific and you will not be making a mistake with either board. Both will be very good performers with the AT's.

#12 · (Edited)
The Heritage is an amazing board and perfect for what you're looking for. It goes really fast, is damp but still capable of a bit of freestyle. The TRS and the SL that have been recommended here are also great but a bit more freestyle oriented. You would have to sacrifice stability and speed with those other options and that only makes sense if you plan on jumping lots (which the Heritage can do just fine). At your weight I would size up a bit though and go with the 160. And don't worry about having to concentrate all the time on a Heritage. I used to own one and it cruised just fine.

Also, forget GNU bindings. They are terrible compared to Flows. If you really want rear entry, go with Flow.

Have fun shredding!

#13 · (Edited)
Okay guys, I picked up a 159 TRS with the black/orange gnu mutant bindings. I got $100 off of the board and $20 off the bindings so all in with board/bindings/boots I paid $950. I may switch bindings to flow but most reviews for this years flows have been less than stellar. Any thoughts on the new flow nx2 gt?

Should I try and find a pair from last year, nxt-at? Found a pair for $200.

#14 ·
Don't worry about those Gnu binders, they work great. We used to be a Flow dealer, picked up Gnu binders a few years ago and put them in the demo program. The positive response we get from people who try the Mutants is very real. As a result of letting people ride both before they buy we stopped being able to sell Flows, we dropped Flow. We sell more Gnus every year than we ever sold Flows and are usually sold out by Feb. We never drank the Cinch punch, they haven't gotten any love from our product testing team.

This is just the response we get in our shop, other shops have different experiences.

#16 · (Edited)
We sell Flow, Gnu and Roxy rear entry bindings. They all have, and are, stoking riders with great products. These brands have taken big steps forward (again) this year. It is hard not to think that this area of bindings is undergoing more development and refinement then conventional bindings.

The NX2's this year have added cant, full sized ratchets (fully releasable for conventional front entry), ratchet locks, NASTY, One disc that fits 4 hole, Burton 3, and Burton Channel, ToeCap Strap (some models). While the production models have not yet been ridden or reviewed by anyone that I am aware of, the in store reviews on fit are off the charts.

#17 ·
FWIW, I love Lib Tech boards. I think magne traction is one of the best new technologies that has been released, especially if you're riding on the east coast where the snow conditions are less than ideal. I haven't ridden the TRS since the 2009 model which was BTX and thought it was a fun/surfy ride and a little softer than my current board. Sounds like it is too late, but I was going to recommend you check out the Lib Tech-Lando Phoenix since you said you're looking for more all mountain board, though it may be a little better in powder than groomers.

#19 ·
I was going to recommend the Gnu Mutants over the Flows. I tried both the Flows and the Gnu's last year. The Flow's didn't fit my boot as well and I wasn't happy with the toe cap. The Gnu's fit me like a glove. Putting the bindings on a board and flexing my head I could really tell the difference between the Flow's and Gnu's. Comfort and perceived control led me to the Gnu's. I haven't had a reason to regret the decision.

Like you, I'm a beginner/intermediate all mountain rider who rides with an expert skier. Getting in my board quickly was a priority when I made the switch from skiing to snowboarding last year.

#20 ·
I tried both the Flows and the Gnu's last year. The Flow's didn't fit my boot as well and I wasn't happy with the toe cap.
Which Flow bindings were you able to try last year with the toe cap?

#22 ·
Hi Cycle4Fun,

A few things to consider.

1. The Gnu Mutant is a terrific binding. It is even better this year with larger more fully releasable ratchets.

2. It is a tricky comparison between a Flow Flight 2 at $149.00 and a Gnu Mutant at $289.00. $140.00 in a binding buys you a lot of extra performance! A nylon baseplate and basic surf strap will not offer nearly the lateral control of aluminum and one of the higher end straps.

3. This is Flow's first year doing a toe cap.

#23 ·
I'm not even sure they were Flight 2s. I just remember I didn't like their non-toe cap design and found them harder on entry than the Gnu Mutants. $400 Flow bindings with the same over-all design would still have had the same problems.

I love my Gnu Mutants and have been very happy with my choice. The fiance is very happy that she isn't waiting for me at the top of the hill. She still waits at the bottom, but she did that anyway when I skied too. She's even faster now that she bought a men's high performance all mountain expert ski (Rossi Strato 70 TLDs). She loves me even more after I convinced her to demo them and then buy them. Demo ski price ridden one other time by another expert. Right length for her. Good deal on those babies.

I could straight line it and she'd almost beat me down the mountain. Damn is she fast.

#24 ·
Hey...just wanted to say thanks to all the responses. I have yet to make it out on the mountain, but I am about to head up to Snowmass for 16 days so I am sure I will get all the riding in that one can handle over the holidays.

One thing that I keep thinking about with the board is my ability to charge the mountain with the TRS. I have been riding for around 16 years and I like to go FAST...but I also want to hit the back bowls with my family of skiers. Do you think the GNU Billy Goat or GNU Riders Choice might be better for an old guy like me (32 years young).

What is the difference between the TRS and Riders Choice?

As always, any and all advice is appreciated...especially from Snowolf and Wiredsport.:D

#25 ·
You sound pretty similar to me in my search. Ride the same as you (maybe a LITTLE bit more bowl/pow hunting) and my wife is an expert skier.

I narrowed to the Lib Lando Phoenix/Jamie Lynn Phoenix, NS Heritage, NS Cobra, Jones Mtn Twin. I ended up going NS Cobra. The TRS (and Riders Choice) was described to me as a little more freestyle oriented. I also DON'T ride swtich (except in sticky situations), so realized a direcitonal board is more for me.

I slapped some Burton Genesis bindings on it (still contemplating Cartels or Flux SF45s).

Yet to hit the mountain, but a buddy of mine (same riding pattern) also got the Cobra and is IN LOVE with it.

So if you are thinking of revisiting it, maybe look at the Phoenix series from Lib.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.