Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Getting One Magtek, need some advice...

7K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Banjo 
#1 ·
So I've decided to get a Rossignol One Magtek, and I could really use some expert advice before I plunk down $600. First of all, I'm 5'10, but only 125lbs, so none of the size charts online are very helpful. I can choose either a 153 or 156cm model. As for my riding style, I fit into the advanced category, and I mostly do blacks out here in Colorado. I don't do any park stuff - I just like to go fast. So my first question is, which size?

Second, what bindings and boots would go well with it? I know very little about what my options are, and what would be compatible. My current setup, in case anyone wants to know, is a Burton Clash 150/Freestyle bindings/Freestyle boots (I've had it for probably 8 years, and I only just moved to CO, so cut me some slack!). Incidentally, how strongly would people recommend that I get new boots? I'm very satisfied with my current ones, but I don't know whether they'll diminish the quality of my new ride...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

#3 ·
If bombing the hill is your thing, 156. I ride a similar style, 6' 195 lbs on the same deck - 159 and love it :yahoo:

Give it a nice wax and you will find it fast and stable. It rides well switch, toss at it what you may and it keeps coming back for more. Enjoy :thumbsup:

#7 ·
I just looked up the Krypto and now I might be leaning toward that, since it seems more focused on freeriding (nice suggestion!). What kind of runs did you ride it on over the weekend, and how did it perform? (obviously favorably)

BTW what bindings and boots do you have :D

I did a little research and came up with Burton Cartel + Burton Rulers. Thoughts, anyone?

#6 ·
I have an older pair of Burton Tributes ( which I hope to replace sooner than later ) and 2011 Flow NXT - AT's on my Rossi

I am a big Flow fan as I also have a pair of 2013 NX2-AT's on a Lib Tech Lando.

The new NX2's are stiff, solid and responsive. They are great for charging the mountain. If I was shopping, they get screwed to the Rossi in a heartbeat. :D

#11 ·
Thanks for the super thorough post, and awesome setup! I seriously think I'm going to copy you :) Now I just need to find a good price for the Krypto - I can find the One for $290 all over the internet, but the best I can find the Krypto at is $370 (which is interesting, because the One retails for $30 more than the Krypto).

Does anybody have any tips for finding a deal? I might just have to sit tight for a bit.

#13 ·
I picked up a onemag (2012) off evo not too long ago... rumor has it there is a 25% off outlet coupon kicking around... maybe in my inbox? who knows ;)
sadly it looks like they are out of the magtek now..

absolutely in love with the board... words can not describe how happy it makes me feel. In fact, i whisper sweet nothings to it before i go to bed each night, and tease it with pictures of whistler constantly until it froths at the mouth and twitches in anticipation...

but seriously, its an amazing board. have it set up with rossi experience bindings, and its a pretty solid setup.

#14 ·
The One and the Krypto are basically the same board - same camrock, same magnetraction, same tech - the only difference I've been able to find is that the One has twin flex, whereas the Krypto has directional flex (hence the freeride label). So if I end up getting the One I'm sure I'll be thrilled with it. I won't be able to ride for a few weeks anyway, so I'll have the luxury of being able to monitor the prices for a little while.

#16 ·
@Pyite: OneMagtek and Krypto are NOT the same board at all. Demoed 2012 One Magtek, super sick board, perfect flex (medium stiff, but still playful), just one of the best board I've tried. Krypto, stiffest board I've ever tried, holds an edge like no other, is not playful at all, your steep and deep, ride fast, bomb groomers type of board.

#19 ·
Get on YouTube, look up rossignol krypto... There's a couple videos of Rossi reps explaining the board vs the one n experience. One from this year and one from last year, infact.

Also look up the board insider reviews of the one. They don't have one of the krypto but they do of the experience. They are the same board expept the experience has a ridiculously stiff torsion box construction that's wrapped in fiberglass or something. Basically if the experience is a 10 in stiffness the krypto is like a7 or 8.

Take your search to YouTube. Lots of info there.

Hate typing on the iPhone....

#23 ·
I have the 156cm which I totally love for most conditions, only had it for one season so far but i think its a bit short for me (150lbs 5' 10" size 9 boot) in powder. im getting better at shifting my weight back (not the most advanced rider), struggled keeping it up in powder though.
I think this says more about my riding than the board, probably wasnt very helpful for your question.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.