Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ollie help?
Thread: Ollie help?
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
alaric
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
You guys are overthinking the Ollie. It is a very non complicated maneuver. It has two very basic movements put together. A sime fore-aft shift and an independent flexion and extension. Personally I find very little similarity between a snowboard Ollie and a skateboard Ollie; the mechanics are very different, but that's just me.

The Ollie is done flat based not off of your toes and definitely not off of your heels. It is a sime thre step maneuver:

1) use your legs to shift your hips and upper body toward the nose.

2) rapidly shift your body toward the tail and allow your back leg to compress.

3) as soon as you reach maximum aft shift and compression, energetically push against the tail of the board with the back foot.

Now, once in the air, be sure to shift your weight back to center so that you level out the board and land flat. Riders who neglect to do this land tail heavy, flat on their back or clip the park feature on takeoff!

The only thing difficult about the Ollie is getting your timing down for these simple movements and maintaining a quite, stacked upper body that stays aligned with the board to prevent rotation.

Really guys, the Ollie is a very simple maneuver, it just takes practice to learn to feel when your timing is perfect to get the spring out of the tail. Practice small Ollies everywhere you ride and focus on correct timing and stability not height. You will learn more from doing it small but correct than from just hucking your meat.
I agree and disagree

The motions aren't quite the same, that's definitely true. I think what it was for me was a confidence thing. Being able to do it on a skateboard mentally told me I could do it on a snowboard.

As I said earlier, I think the biggest thing that the skateboard helped me with was simply landing on it. It is much more difficult to land on a skateboard (my opinion) but it helped me balance better in air on a snowboard leading to a better landing. Also, the whole confidence thing is there too.

alaric is offline   Reply With Quote