Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Now ipo

40K views 138 replies 43 participants last post by  j.pow.k 
#1 ·
Has anyone ridden these new bindings? They look interesting but would like to know how they rid before I buy.

#2 ·
hi, welcome to sbforum!

Although I have never ride them and it's probably not appropriate to state from my friends, but they say they feel the "skateboard truck feel" very subtile in terms of the feel is existent but it's not a game changer. honestly I would wait 1 year to see their next iteration improvement

#8 · (Edited)
Well I've only spent a couple days on them but I'll let you know what my thoughts are so far. I put these on a Jones Hovercraft with the intention of them being a nice surfy feel for powder days, but so far I've only been out with the board mostly on hard pack and groomers, a bit of ice and a touch of powder.

Do you feel the hinge effect? Yes, a little bit. I tried one day on the softest bushings and another day with the medium ones and I prefer the softest white ones. You start to really feel the turns more with your feet, it's hard to explain, but it does have a skate feel to it.

What do I like? I like how they dampen the ride. They really absorb a lot of the chatter and they really felt great at high speed. Smooth and responsive. Really nice for carving. I like the slight different feel they have... It is slight though, you may not even notice it at all unless you really fixate on it. The baseplate and kingpin hinge system seem to be really well made. The footbed is nicer than I thought from the look of it. The straps are easy to adjust.

What do I hate? I hate the toe cap-strap, the strap itself isn't terrible... It's pretty average, seems a bit cheap. The ladders are terrible... I really struggle to get the toe strap ladder to catch with the ratchet, especially one handed with mitts on.... It's a bastard. It feels way too cheap for a 300+ dollar binding. Also after 2 days the ladders are starting to show a lot of wear on the teeth and I'm not sure if they would survive a whole season, maybe. The ankle strap is ok, no problems with that one, but it's not as comfortable as my Cartel straps. I've read a lot about the Now bindings and how they are supposed to reduce foot fatigue and make for a more comfortable ride, but I don't see it. The straps are not as comfortable after a full day as my Cartels. I might try and put Burton straps on these bindings next year. (I only specify Burton because they look to be almost interchangable with Burton straps, maybe a slight modification but they look like they would work)

Oh, also the footbed isn't canted and I don't like that. I thought I might not notice, but I do a little bit and for the price, they should be. Not sure what that would do to the hinge system or how it's supposed to function.

It's only been a couple of days and I do like the bindings over all, but the straps are the weak link. I know they will probably fix all that next year and then I'll be selling them to upgrade, but oh well.... They are a step in the right direction I think.

#10 ·
I basically agree 100% with you. I have them on my Nidecker Ultralight and find the effect barely noticeable (which is a good thing IMO), but the toe straps suck and seem cheap. This is the first binding I have used when the toes strap goes over the top of the boot rather then around the front of the toe, and I much prefer the front of the toe feel. Basically I dont want to feel the toe strap, but with the IOP i can. Its possible I need to get used to how tight I should get them, but a few times at the end of the run I noticed the toe strap slid off of my back foot?! Problem is if I went ultra tight then I felt a tight strap sensation over my boot.

I do like them, and think they are going in the right direction with them. Ill dump them for next years as well assuming they address the strap issue.

Oh, one other strange thing I noticed is that snow/ice seemed to build up on the inside of the highback. I have never seen that before and it wasnt just an easy task to brush it off with my glove. Could have been a strange snow day, but ill be watching that too.

#12 ·
I tried, but the design as a toes cap looked like ass. I figured there was no way they would design a toe cap that crapy, so I just put it over top thinking that must be the way. Are they designed to be interchangeable or did you make shift?

What other way is there besides lengthening it and putting around your toe?

#17 ·
Ever looked closely at the toe straps on your Diodes and Geneses?
OK, and just looked at my Geneses and Diodes vs the NOW toe straps. :icon_scratch:

I dont see any similarities. The Diodes and Geneses looks like a well designed toe strap while the NOW looks like much less. Can someone post a pic of what half and half means? Teach me something new today.

Thanks

#16 ·
I use the toe strap half and half... That's not a problem, they hold the toe of my boots fine, My only issue with the strap itself is that it feels cheap like it might snap and break at some point, although they might be fine, that's the way they look to me. The ladders and ratchet on the toe strap, at least on the set I bought are really bad in my opinion. To me it looks like all the design focus went into the baseplate and hinge, which seem awesome, really solid. The highback I think is fine, but the straps seem like a quick afterthought.

#20 ·
I have 20+ days on mine if you include time spent on last season's protos. Still got total love for these things. Toe straps are awesome and never move on me. Most comfortable binding I've been in.

#39 ·
I think canting is too big of a hype to some extend, I have union asadachi and rome 390 boss, and I don't miss the canting that bad on the unions. One way i found out is to put some snows on the union and with your foot step onto it and it creats a nice ghetto canting which fits super good with my k2 t1db

#45 ·
I have two pairs of NOW IPO bindings. I'm quite happy with them. Like Triple8Sol, I've had the logo pop off the footbed. Not a big deal. Just a bad place for a logo that is glued on. The straps are still in good shape and I've to six days on the hills (Five on one set and one on the other).

I've also read some skepticism about the straps especially the toe straps. I'm quite happy with the toe straps. They fit snugly and have never come loose, but I could see from looking at them people questioning them. I much prefer the ractchets and ladders to those on my Union SL binding from last year.

#46 ·
The biggest thing about the straps is to play with the adjustment side.

It took a while to get them to fit my SLX just right but once I did it all the pressure points went away.

#47 ·
I was intrigued when the IPO first came out. The more I looked at it the more I didn't like them. I don't like the binding straps, they look cheap. I didn't want to take a chance so I ordered Amplid Balance 2.0 bindings. These are sick bindings that should mate well to my Ultralight, if it ever arrives. I like the Amplids too because they're kind of rare and below the radar of many riders outside of Europe. Good luck .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.