Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Snowboard Instructor (20 years experience) How to??
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
golfer1659

I think you read into my reply too much by the capitalization of my word. I am here to coach and do suggest, but if you are going to have a tantrum for 20 minutes in the middle of the slope and you are a 28 year old female then I am not willing devote my time because I am not getting paid for it and takes away from me riding the mountain that I paid a pass for.

That just occurred this last weekend. Obviously any proper training is needed to learn how to teach. I have been doing comprehensive financial planning for the last 8 years so I am pretty good at suggesting and coaching people with major decisions of their life (snowboarding is on the smaller spectrum). So I am sorry if you took my comment in the wrong manner.

I coach golf and used to coach basketball. You can't force anything in sports, everyone progresses on their own terms but you can show properly what to do and then obviously the horse has to drink its own water. Thank you for the reply and I will still look into the AASI training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Well, you can suggest things to people and they may or may not take the advice. Even as a paid instructor for a resort for 8 years, I don't TELL people what to do, I coach them. Snowboarding is not boot camp and I am a coach not a drill sergeant. Don't expect adults to do "exactly what you tell the to do". Based on what you wrote, I don't think you are a great match for a ski school. I think you might be better off working with your local high school ski and snowboard team or with a youth group in some fashion.

At a ski school, you will be expected to coach to AASI methods and as an uncertified new hire, you will be low man on the totem and taking kids and group walk ins. You will have to go through the AASI procedures to obtain your certification levels. It sounds to me like you might have an issue not being allowed to teach the way you want. You might want to give Michael at Snow Motion a call. He runs a pretty cool private coaching operation out of New York and operates at Stratton.
golfer1659 is offline   Reply With Quote