Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

splitboards... Worth it or not?

6K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  AKLarry 
#1 ·
Hey I have a 153 voile split decision. I am 5’7” and about 130-135 pounds. I have been told that this board is probably too small for me and that is why it sucks for the ride down. I live in Alaska and just started getting into the backcountry scene. This board seems heavy, zero flex and was difficult for me to keep the nose from digging in and I had my stance as far back as possible. I also ride regular. Not the sweetest for carving and maneuvering either. I have the standard voile binding system (disk and plates). I was told that these bindings also add to the crummy snowboard element.Bottom line, are splitboards even worth the money? Yeah maybe they help on the climb (I didn’t think it was that much easier than snowshoeing though) but are they all worse boards for the ride down than a normal board? Or am I just stuck with a board that is the wrong size?

#2 ·
The split decision is about the worst splitboard out there. The shape is whack and it's a pig. That has more to do with it than the size.

Yes splitboards are worth it. You can't go on a tour with snowshoes. There is a reason JJ and others are using splits for their human powered endeavors.

#4 ·
One thing I will also add, get rid of the slider plates. Once I purchased a set of Spark R & D bindings my board road like a resort board. Once you go Spark you never go back.

Bottom line.... Hell yes splitboards are worth it. A day in the backcountry with good friends trumps any day I have ever had at the resort.

#5 ·
word... Yeah I figured that much. But again, I have done backcountry with snowshoes and a board on my back and didn't think the touring part was much easier, but again... The split decision is heavy as balls! Holy buckets... Investment indeed.. Step one is dumping the one I have! I have skins and crampons for it.

#8 ·
I also have snow shoes and in some conditions, they do work almost as well as splitting and you don't have to fuck around with skins. I still use them on summer snow pack where float is not an issue. Having said that, when the snow is fresh and deep, there is no comparison. A split is the way to go. Additionally, having the board on your feet rather than on your back is a huge plus just for the enjoyment.
Very true statement here. If you have good snowshoes with risers they are fine and i never had a problem keeping up. I picked up an Icelantic split last year and I think splitboarding is the way to go up here. there are still some days that ill take snow kicks out depending on conditions and the terrain im going into. If im going to have to boot pack or do 50 kick turns to make it up a slope id take snow kicks any day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.