Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

The Official Michigan Winter Thread

490K views 8K replies 153 participants last post by  sabatoa 
#1 ·
Alright everyone since Summer is over, fall has just begun and we've already had our first rail jam of the year, it's time to start a new thread for the 10/11 winter.

Last year we had the "Southeast" michigan thread, but I think we should do all of Michigan. Sure, most of population lives in S/E michigan but we all ride the same resorts in the LP and even the UP if we get a chance, so we should have one thread to bring everyone together.

Cheers everyone we're probably only like 70 days from open resorts!

#2,395 · (Edited)
Dave, Sabatoa, Sounds like you guys got a great trip ahead of ya!

So, It looks like it's supposed to snow ALL week up @ Boyne Highlands! (...I left @ noon today & the snow did hit just in time for the drive!) I'm givin' some serious thought to heading up again next Sat. am., home Sun. evening! If by Wed., Thur. the forecast is still dealing out daily snow up yonder? I think I'll just have to go. Even if it means sleepin in the rental car!

I need something to make up for the TOTALLY disappointing performance this weekend! (By Ma Nature & myself!!) Can't take a long weekend as it's a blackout period for my company for vacation days! (...already got my room reservation for the 27th thru 30th to hit the Demo day @ Highlands! I have a feeling I will be "deathly Ill" those days! ;) )

#2,401 ·
You think that will be enough to open anything?

#2,400 ·
Obviously by my post count im not to active here. Love reading this thread to remind me of the good times in riding in michigan. First day was at pine knob over
20 years ago!

Do they still sell the msia gold card? Give you one lift ticket to about 20 or so hills in michigan.

And yes... 39"s at stevens saturday was insane! Over 100 on the ground now..january can be hit or miss. Sometimes it gets the same january thaw as the midwest. The month to be at stevens is march.

#2,402 ·
Obviously by my post count im not to active here. Love reading this thread to remind me of the good times in riding in michigan. First day was at pine knob over
20 years ago!

Do they still sell the msia gold card? Give you one lift ticket to about 20 or so hills in michigan.
Yes they do... also includes a few free tune-ups. It's a good bargain for sure :)

#2,405 ·
I think MTH was blowing last night, I checked in around 9 and their crew was on standby waiting for temps to hit that elusive 28F.

What are the chances Hawk might open this weekend? Doesn't quite look cold enough the remainder of this week to blow any substantial amount of snow but then again it's a small hill they may be able to cover it pretty quickly. But possible rain on saturday...

I'm going to be in the Lansing area for holiday part on Saturday, possibly riding at Cab or Crystal on Sunday, but if not then I'll probably hit MTH.

#2,408 ·
Oh well, just have to wait 'n' hope I guess. :dunno:
Gonna get back to watchin' the Shred vids I dwnloaded while I wait to get unloaded.

Hope the WC is as wrong as they've been b4 about this weekend. Sab, if they r maybe I'll c u up there. Here's Hopin'!!!

#2,410 ·
Yeah, if it's still lookin iffy by thur. I'll probably bag it and hope that winter gets to Highlands in time for the Demo day on the 27th!

#2,411 · (Edited)
If you guy's want to get all "Hot & Bothered", check out the web cams for Pine Knob! The other day it was showing nothing but a grassy hill. Tonight,..???
Hubba Hubba!!! :tongue4: It looks promising!!! Now if the rain will just stay the f%# away this weekend!!!!!

[Late edit]
OK,.. WC 5 day forecast is now calling for 70% chance of, wait for it,...
...SNOW {...Glorious Snow!!} up @ Highlands for Saturday!!! I might just have to haul my A%# up there after all!! :D

[Later Late Edit]
Holy crap!!! This is what's posted on Alpine Valley's Snow report;
Last Updated at: 2:00 PMon December 11, 2012

We have a strong possibility of opening tomorrow (Wednesday, 12/12/12) for our afternoon session 3pm - 10pm. This will all depend on how much snow can be made tonight. Please continue to check back to confirm a opening time.

Attachments

#2,412 ·
If you guy's want to get all "Hot & Bothered", check out the web cams for Pine Knob! The other day it was showing nothing but a grassy hill. Tonight,..???
Hubba Hubba!!! :tongue4: It looks promising!!! Now if the rain will just stay the f%# away this weekend!!!!!

[Late edit]
OK,.. WC 5 day forecast is now calling for 70% chance of, wait for it,...
...SNOW {...Glorious Snow!!} up @ Highlands for Saturday!!! I might just have to haul my A%# up there after all!! :D

[Later Late Edit]
Holy crap!!! This is what's posted on Alpine Valley's Snow report;
Last Updated at: 2:00 PMon December 11, 2012

Of course

We have a strong possibility of opening tomorrow (Wednesday, 12/12/12) for our afternoon session 3pm - 10pm. This will all depend on how much snow can be made tonight. Please continue to check back to confirm a opening time.
Of course the week before mid terms and it decides to be a very nice week for snowboarding wtf I guess next Thursday ill be there from 10a.m. To 10 p.m.
U guys are lucky it not in school anymore

#2,414 ·
Figures they're open!!!! I agreed to take an early shift tomorrow morning. Get off 7 tonight, gotta b back 5:30 am. to take another load to OH.

Upside is, if they're open Tomorrow, I should b able to get there for the entire evening session.

#2,415 ·
Figures they're open!!!! I agreed to take an early shift tomorrow morning. Get off 7 tonight, gotta b back 5:30 am. to take another load to OH.

Upside is, if they're open Fri. I should b able to get there for the entire evening session.
I'm a school sponsor and I talked to them about my order. They said they will be open Friday... so for whatever its worth...

#2,424 ·
caberfae discounts

I know caberfae has been making snow and if you are renting or know anyone who is they have discount cards at mc sports celebrating 75th anniversary with $7.50 lift ticket on wednesdays and 7.50 rentals with the card. I'm thinking of introducing some friends to the sport at that rate.

#2,426 ·
I know caberfae has been making snow and if you are renting or know anyone who is they have discount cards at mc sports celebrating 75th anniversary with $7.50 lift ticket on wednesdays and 7.50 rentals with the card. I'm thinking of introducing some friends to the sport at that rate.
Cab is the best value in the state. They're always offering crazy deals. The last two seasons that is where I spent most of my time. This season I got a pass to a couple other places so I won't be at Cab as much but I'll try to squeeze in a Friday night or something here and there.

If I wasn't seeing The Hobbit tomorrow I'd probably go there on my way to Petoskey.

#2,427 ·
I hate Crystal Mountain's website. It's so preoccupied with getting you to stay there or partake in the amenities that it's next to impossible to find the trail map. It's like the skiing/riding take a back seat to the other crap there.

I have an app for trail maps so I used that but still.

Anyways. They only have Cheers open.

Cab has a lot of the North peak open but none of the South peak yet.

#2,428 ·
Got done in OH. early today,... heading to PK right now. See Ya!!!

#2,430 ·
Hey guys, just to let you know...

Summit Sports shops are running a Buy One Get One 30% the entire store deal. Limited time only.

If you do this for outerwear, you are getting our exact employee discount as we get 30% off our outerwear. It's almost as good as our discount for hardgoods!

And there's no limit to this. That means if you buy 4 items, you'll get two of them at 30% off. And yes, we are taking the higher priced item and knocking 30% off the next highest price rather than giving you the discount on the lowest priced gear.

Enjoy it!

#2,432 ·
The weather is working against us on that one my man.

Speaking of softgoods...

Here's my personal review for you Michigan guys.

So I got a couple pants, a couple jackets. They're all Oakley, I got good deals on them. I made it a point to match jacket and pant brands so that I could take advantage of the storm skirt because I inevitable slide down the hill on my ass and I hate getting snow up my jacket (and then down my pants).

Welp, snap in powder skirts don't work so well for that purpose. I was working on trying to spray last night and washed out a few times, one of which a ton of snow went right up the ol' jacket despite being snapped up.

So while I love my jackets and pants, I think a zip up storm skirt is a better choice *if* you're trying to keep snow out of your jacket from sliding down the hill. Maybe it works just fine for powder (as it's made for..) but for what I need it for it doesn't quite do the job.

#2,437 ·
Good day at Highlands today,..

...Most importantly, no rain so far.
Glad to hear that!!! I saw the forecast's for the area & thought you'd be heading up there for a weekend of shit like I did.

Glad somebody here's getting a few good turns in!! (...I hit PK Thurs eve., not great, but not F'ing awful either!)

Enjoy!!

#2,442 ·
Well, it hasn't stopped raining since 3:30, I don't recommend anyone making the trip anywhere up north because it doesn't look like its going to end through tomorrow night.

Sucks. Second weekend up here cut short by bad weather. I'll make the 15 minute drive to Highlands but not counting on staying long, if at all.

The part that kills me is that this would have been awesome snow had it been colder.

#2,443 ·
Well, it hasn't stopped raining since 3:30,..

...Sucks. Second weekend up here cut short by bad weather. I'll make the 15 minute drive to Highlands but not counting on staying long, if at all.

The part that kills me is that this would have been awesome snow had it been colder.
Well,.. you have to know, you certainly have my sympathies!
Hey, at least you got one full day of fairly decent riding, right?
Even had a bigger choice of runs to hit!

...Last weekend when I was there, sunday was the only day with "marginally" decent snow, and I cut riding it short to try and beat the weather!
...ended up driving right in the middle of it anyway!! :rolleyes:

Hey maybe it'll stop by morning! If it does, the cold from all the snow pack should help freeze its self back to a firmer consistency won't it? :dunno: