Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ducking Ropes...
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
StreetDoc
Banned

Default Ducking Ropes...

I'm going to try not to turn this into a rant/flame fest. I'm trying to find information on ducking ropes at resorts. A couple days ago I was at Copper and there was an area (not marked off) where you could ride through the trees and end up on a run that was not opened, you had to duck ropes to get back to the open run then. If it was your first run you could feasibly not know it was closed until you were there already.

Me and a few guys (one of them 62 years old) spent a full day riding this area. About 3pm the "Safety Patrol" saw us and freaked out. They read us the riot act about deadfall and snow coverage, threatened us with $1000 fines, taking our passes, even a mandatory "drivers ed" class that would explain how dangerous we were.

I understand deadfall and that you could possibly stick a board but IMO there are a lot more dangerous situations you can encounter at a crowded resort. If you know what you're doing I would argue it's impossible to stick a board under a log. When we were "caught" we were literally 3' the other side of the rope.

Now my question is as I understand it most of the summit county (all?) resorts are US fores service land. If you skinned up the mountain, would the same rules apply to you? What if you accessed roped off backcountry terrain from the top of the mountain but didn't use a lift to get there?
StreetDoc is offline   Reply With Quote