Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ducking Ropes...
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
wrathfuldeity
Resident poet

Idk, around the here there are ropes and then there are ROPES...some places ducking the rope will get you dead...the locals know but tourist don't. There are also gates and warnings....alot of it depends...avy gear, locals, patrol vs sar. Last saturday when skinning out the unattended gate there was a big warning sign. However there were a fair amt of shoers, bpackers and some skiers with out any avy gear and certainly no passes/lift tickets. I'd imagine those folks are doing so at their own risk, without any expectation of ski patrol rescue or assistance and hopefully they understand that its only their judgement and perhaps the good will of other folks who are present and enjoying the bc.

I think that if patrol sees you ducking and coming back in and you have avy gear and appear to know what ur doing its not an issue....however, if not, then they probably will do the riot act or at least abit of stern education. Though again there are areas/runs that are closed off (high avy danger) and you could go through the trees and end up being in a closed area...patrol would not be happy and they would get you coming out and clip your ticket...but these are roped areas with additional closed signs on the sticks and hard to miss. My observation is that locals and patrol can easily see if a person knows what they are doing and where they are going...and if a person looks to be in over their head or going in the wrong direction they will yell, warn and call patrol. Locals know if there is an area not being ridden then there is a good reason. Besides the hill having a rep of being a reasonably hazardous....there are fools that are unawares and have poor judgement.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 12-13-2012 at 12:14 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote