Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Demo Day Options?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  bmaniga 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm a second season NooB! My local hill is holding a demo day that I plan to attend in 2 weeks. This is no Big Mountain resort, it's a fair sized mound in the Northern LP of MI. There will only be three manufacturers represented. Burton (...natch!) K2, & Rome.

I am looking to ride something in a "True Twin", I think I'd prefer to stick with a cambered or hybrid camber board, (...I don't ride park, but If time permits, I wouldn't sneer at trying some form of hybrid rocker either!) and maybe something with the new "grip tech, magna traction" etc.

I presently ride a 2010/11 Arbor Roundhouse 163W, directional twin cambered board. I have done pretty well learning to ride on this board, but if you saw my thread on "Being Ridden By the Board?" http://www.snowboardingforum.com/snowboarding-general-chat/52189-board-will-ride-you.html You'll see I may be limiting or making my progression harder by riding a board meant for a more advanced rider.

Since I am not really familiar with all the models/types of boards these 3 companies make, I was hoping I might get a few suggestions on which models to ask to tryout that might fit the criteria I mentioned earlier and fall into a more skill appropriate level for me! (...that is, if they will even have them available to try. Selection might be limited @ such a small resort.)

TIA, chomps! (...oh yeah, I'm 6ft. 220 lb. outta the shower, about 235-45 fully geared up! size 10.5 W boots.)

See less See more
#2 ·
I only know the Burton line but here's what I recommend:

Try to ride one board from each of the three camber profiles:

-regular camber, eg. shaun white board, custom, parkitect, process
-flying V e.g. custom flying V, sherlock, antler, process flying v
-rocker e.g superhero, whammy bar, blunt

If you can ride the same board in two profiles, e.g custom camber and custom flying V then you'll get a good benchmark on the impact of the different shape

Finally try to ride the Nug, it's a fun little board that you ride about 10 cms shorter than normal

also from Burton try to ride a set of bindings with the Hinge tech, it's supposed to allow your ankle to flex in line with the board to make poppier ollies. For 3/4 hole bindings try to ride somehting with reflex tech, supposed to do the same thing but fit industry standard mounting, ie. non-est.

The genesis binding has a two part highback that is supposed to be loose and flexy when you are goofing around at slow speeds and then when you push it the inner flexy part of the highback locks down into the outer piece giving good control. Lastly I predict that there will be a board you want to try that will either be not there or always out with someone else. You will wind up buying this board the week after without riding it, just to try it out. Happens all the time.

Anybody know when the Burton demo day is set for Blue Mountain Ontario?

#5 ·
Check out the Rome Mod and Agent. The Process Flying V, Joystick, and Custom from Burton. K2 only has flat camber (dead camber) throughout their line, no true camber or hybrid camber, so based on your post, I'd spend more time demoing the Burton and Rome decks, considering you will think you have much more time than you actually do when demoing numerous boards. Narrow it down to roughly 4 boards or so, and spend the time on those decks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.