Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Absolute newb, rent? Or buy board?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 02:58 AM   #51 (permalink)
wrathfuldeity
Resident poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatRideSleep View Post
wrath has ridden some womens boards; women ride mens boards (shayboarder).

OP's stats are more in the range of that of a womens board (no offense, OP)...might open him up to more options?
Op, I have size 6.5-7 boots, the reason I ride a women's board (Option trinity 158, option kendra starr 155, had (snapped the tail) a cambered gnu b-nice 155, and would like to have a b-pro 155) is that I like fast edge to edge, to do hotrod railing tight turns and it is somewhat a requirement due to the terrain at the home hill. The women's boards, for me must be the stiffer high-end boards because I also weigh 180# and need something to bust through the chop/chunder and something to be stable at higher speeds of 40-50 mph. I have men's boards also, billygoat 159, option northshore 162 and charlie slasher 164...had a banana 159...they are more regular width and are fine...however noticable more cumbersome for edge to edge response....(except for the billygoat which is torsionally softer....fricking great board...but its not a beginner board). A narrower waist board...say between 24-25 will allow a more quick edge to edge...wider than 25 it gets to be slower. However the other factors of board stiffness and the board's torsional stiffness also effect the performance. Sure there is rider skill...but my rider preference is quick edge to edge. As for learning a easier turning board, i.e., narrower and flexier will be easier than a wide or a stiffy or a torsionally stiff board. Back when I started 10 years ago there were less high-end women boards, only cambered and generally stiff. Now there is much more selection and narrower men's boards and even custom builds. For me, I don't care about graphics...I want functional performance....so with your small boot size and light weight...a women's board that is slighter stiffer....higher end might be a good option.