Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - The Death of Winter?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #23 (permalink)
Treegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampow View Post
Whilst I sympathize with your bad season and a half here in Japan we have had an early start to the season and tonnes of snow already.

My regular mountain wouldn't usually be open yet but I was in waist deep pow a few days ago.

I hear Russia is getting lots of snow and the alps too, clearly Canada is doing well also.

Certain parts of AMERICA are having a bad season, therefore winter is over forever.

Definitely a bummer, but calling anywhere other than America "anomalies" is a little self centered.
You are focusing on the wrong things here. I'm not arguing for the "end of winter," although that's always a possibility, I'm simply pointing out that taking one data point in one place (e.g. it's snowing more here than ever!) is a poor way to assess whether or not climate change is happening. Then I went on to warn that IF the Intermountain West continues its current 2-year trend we could be in for a heap of trouble. The comment about outliers and anomalies still stands, and I am not sure how it should be construed as insulting or "Americancentric." For all we know the bad snow year we're having right now is an anomaly, but the potential trend is what frightens me. Just like how Japan getting more snow this year is not indicative of anything until we've had a chance to see what the trends are over long periods of time in the region. Which is not to mention that some places will lose more than others due to climate change, and inadvertently some places will likely "win" by the definition of having places to snowboard.

Last edited by Treegreen; 12-14-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Treegreen is offline   Reply With Quote