Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Skidded turns on steep ice.
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Efilnikufesin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirX252 View Post
I have no trouble making short radius turns, the types that are slightly wider than "body static down the hill".... meaning the type of turns where I keep my body aligned with the board, but make semi short radius skidded turns on steep ice, no problem.

Now keeping my body pointed down? problem, I feel like at it's best, to do near walking speed, there is near zero turn shape, and it's just a pivot.. skiddddddddd semi carve.. pivit skiddd semi carve at end.. although the semi carve at end doesn't happen all the time, not to mention if I hit a bump while in this twisted position.. especially at the end.. the skid gets invited back. Not a super skid, just a small skid.

I wonder if keeping the body static is even worthwhile. I notice there is a tendency for most people, to keep that body static on toesides, so you turn turn, end up in a twisted positioin.. but on the heelsides, u dont' end up so twisted, and are more facing down the hill with the chest.. therefore to keep things even, i make more of a conscious effort to "counter rotate" as i go do the heelside, to keep my shoulders pointing downhill.....

Or. i do a variation.... i prerotate as I turn, and the second the turn starts, I start pre rotating the other way, it almost looks like counter rotation, but it's not, and it's harder to keep your arms still...

Yeah... being OCD is not good!!.. or is it?
Maybe the OCD isn't good. Are you looking for confirmation that static turning is better than dynamic?

When you legs are truly moving independent of your upper body, your shoulders should stay mostly down the fall line, i.e being dynamic. If all this counter rotation and such with your shoulders is still occurring, you are still moving staticly(word?.)
Efilnikufesin is offline   Reply With Quote