Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Heli Pack w/ Camelbak?
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gdog42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
you shouldn't be riding with a backpack at resorts unless you're accessing sidecountry or carrying camera gear to film very good riders.
Yeah, you're right ShredLife. I wouldn't wear some bulgy pack just for the heck of it. That would look stupid.
That's why I'm getting the Heli pack- it's really low-profile. My problem is that later on in the day, I sometimes get either too hot or too cold, so I can carry a second base layer in the pack and switch out if I need to. I can also keep my bigger gloves in there if I want to switch for my pipe gloves in the park. Last season I did that but had to keep my regular gloves in my pockets, which was kind of uncomfortable. Now I don't have to worry about sweating or freezing my ass off!
It would also be nice to have a place to keep my camera, lock, mask and goggles, which I sometimes take of for a while. I like to stay hydrated and carry some food, too. Sure, the jacket has a shit load of pockets, but what I'm carrying adds up.

My friend has a Heli pack for the same reasons and people sometimes give him the wtf look and ask him why he's wearing it. Then he shows them the water hose they then compliment him and say it's a good idea. He never lets me keep any of my extra shit in there for the reasons I mentioned, because he doesn't want to be responsible if, for example, he falls on his back and breaks my goggles.

Until I saw for myself just how thin the Heli pack is, I used to have the same opinion as you about having the pack at a resort. Now I realize it's not really a bad idea. I have a legitimate reason, so I'm gonna go for it.
Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by Gdog42; 12-16-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Gdog42 is offline   Reply With Quote