Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Why do resorts blow the snow into huge piles up top?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
Rockpen

Long time lurker here and former snowmaker so I guess here is a nice spot for me to drop in to these forums. They really shouldnt be making huge piles as the bigger the pile gets the more snow crystals the pile crushes. Then they should let the pile sit and cure for 48 hours which allows excess water leach out and for all the snow crystals, which are like eggs in that they have a frozen shell but the center is still fluid, to properly freeze. If presssed for time they will push the snow almost immediately after making the pile which results in a bullet proof snow. Great for race courses like the Birds of Prey in Beaver Creek and park features but really bad for normal runs where you want a more spreadable surface. I have no idea why they are making hugh piles up top but maybe thats where they have the best temps for blowing snow. The more you push snow the more damage you do to it so the best way is to make little piles right next to each other so each pile has time to cure and is less work for the snowcat as he can just come along and push the top of the piles instead of dealing with one huge pile. Hope that helps.
Rockpen is offline   Reply With Quote