Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Gun Control Debate thread
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #372 (permalink)
sleev-les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Sleev-les, just to clarify: one of the original intents of this thread was to deal with the fact that mass shootings are far higher in the USA than anywhere else. There's a reason for that, and we'd like to know what it is. More gun control is an obvious and facile solution, and people on your end of the political spectrum are very quick to point that out, and to point out that the second amendment is a right, and to point out any misc statistics, rail against suggested gun bans (even if they weren't suggested), etc etc etc. But that's where it ends. You couldn't seem to care less what the real reason is, don't seem to make any effort at all to look into it. As long as your precious gun rights are preserved, all is ok. I think that's what really pisses people off about people who are taking your side of the debate.
The real reason? How about the individual and his will to do harm?! I do care what the real reason is, which is why I stand behind gun rights and trying to stay optimistic even while seeing our politicians clawing at this recent event to serve some political agenda. That is a tragedy in and of itself. Too many are quick to blame a gun for an individuals act. To blame a gun is what truly highlights your statement about not caring about the real reason. A gun is not what causes someone to go on a rampage. Something else altogether causes that. When someone (and I've seen it posted before in other threads) says a comment such as forks are making people fat, lets ban them. You are quick to pick that apart and say its not relevant to the argument. THE ROOT CAUSE is the individual so stop blaming the tools. Yet me mentioning other opportunities for these acts to occur (and even posted a story) you again pick that apart and try to believe its not possible or wouldn't happen if a gun isn't available. I'll say it again, use the proper tools to limit the risk. Stop with the gung ho hardcore stance and look at real methods to help keep guns out of the individuals hands that have the potential to do harm. (class, psych eval, permit renewal etc etc).