Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ohio Snowboarding
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #70 (permalink)
david_z
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanJoe View Post
MRM started blowing earlier this week but have to wait for the warmer weather this weekend to pass before they can begin blowing again early next week. They're still not providing guidance on opening day but hard to imagine anything prior to 12/22 at this point.

Glad I took PTO 12/17 to 01/02 to try and get as many mid-week days in early season. Once I'm back to work on 01/02 I'm sure they'll be 100% open.
In case you're curious it's no better in MI hills on the west side haven't opened, those on the east side in Detroit suburbs have been open a total of 7 or maybe 8 days this season with extended closures (opening day was Nov 29 or 30, then they closed after 5 days and reopened last week only to close again yesterday "until winter returns") and no real hope in sight for a reopening prior to Saturday 12/23 at the earliest.

Hills up north like Crystal Mountain is barely open (1 trail, 1 bunny hill, and 1/2 of a terrain park with 4 features does NOT count as open in my book), Caberfae is about 40% open but losing snow FAST, the Boynes are probably doing the best but that is not saying much since they are only partially open as well, and also losing base in this weather faster than they can recoup it with snowmaking.

This is not looking good for the midwest again. And I thought it couldn't possibly get worse than last season...

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 42

Mt. Brighton - 13
Mt. Holly - 5
Hawk Island - 3
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1