Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - My Xmas bonus came early. Need some assistance on a new board...
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ntp_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainwashed View Post
I'm 175lbs and 5' 9" - 41 years old. Strong Intermediate skill level. Was a snowboard instructor for two seasons in 1990-92 at Mt. Hood Meadows, OR. and one season at Crystal Mt., WA in 1996-97. I used to race alpine boards and ran plate bindings in the 90's on Mt. Hoods bullet proof ice. I'm now 40 years old, and riding with my son and working on riding fakie or switch at speed. Woohoo.

I personally wouldn't consider the Banana Magic a dedicated powder board, there are some really amazing boards for that... If you are looking for a dedicated powder board for trips to the west coast I think there are better options. If it was me I would want a board with a narrower tail than nose with some setback. The Magic is a true twin.

I would look towards the Lib Tech El Nina or the Jones Hovercraft or Capita Charlie Slasher or the Burton powder boards ala Fish, Malao, but for a stiff twin tip that carves really well the Magic is better than I would have expected in the powder. I would consider the Magic more of a "quiver killer" board where it's good all around with a slant towards carving.

I can get a little "thrumming" from the tail at very high speeds on icey hardpack when I am really flying but I wouldn't consider the board chattery or unstable at speed. Not to try to put words in his mouth, but the local shop owner agree's with this opinion. We were talking about the Magic last night and how well rounded it is. I personally feel like it's better in more area's than any board has a right to be, while still being a twin tip freestyle board.

What reviews are you reading? I'm like to check them out too.
2 reviews that I read were on evo. And I stand corrected, I'm looking more for an all-mountain board but with more emphasis on POW as 70% of my sessions are thru trees, backcountry and groomers. Thanks for the info though!