Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Trip Report: Fernie Dec 16/17 2012
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
poutanen
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

2/2

Saw a couple ski patrol cutting hard left so I figured why not follow. They know the mountain better than anyone else so they might lead me to a good spot. THIS is that spot. The entrance to "Corner Pocket" which is the first chute leading back into the Lizard bowl. Seemed like a great spot to take a pic of the new Virus Avalanche.

The chute was narrow but only about 30 feet long, and it opened into a wide open steep face of powder!!! I was in heaven! Until I got to the bottom, saw a powder bowl too late and ended up a little stuck. Took a few mins to get up on the snow and across to something with pitch. This pic might not show it well but the powder was about 4" thicker than my board...

It was still puking snow as we were leaving!

Overall the conditions were amazing. LOTS of terrain was open and in good shape. The Virus had me a little wigged out in the powder at first, but it becomes very managable in the thick stuff. It didn't feel any longer than my T7 when making short quick turns, in fact as I got confident on it I found myself hitting more lips, pillows, etc. than I would have on the T7.

After 4 days on the board between hardpack, groomers, and two days of powder: this board gets
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote