Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Ever had an injury or crash that made you consider quitting?
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:45 AM
deeken

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hey man, glad to hear you are ok. I had a couple spills like that and one particularly that really made me consider if this sport was for worth it or not.
I was at Hunter 2 years ago and I decided to take one more run after it started getting icey. I didn't catch an edge but couldn't stop on a turn off the Belt Parkway and slammed head first into the wall on a curve. I was going pretty fast and couldn't stop. I saw my life blink in front of me as I was headed for that wall.

As I was pinned up against that wall with my feet up in the air (while in agonizing pain) I started to think about life and my future. Is this shit worth it? Why the eff am I doing this? I'm too old and fat for this sport....etc. Just a lot of negative thoughts came to my mind. It took me about 20 minutes to gather myself and make my way out of there. I slowly made my way down the mountain and back to the bar to meet up with friends.

This was the first day of a 2 day trip with my buddies. I was walking with a limp, had bruises all over my body and one nasty headache. I really did not want to go back out on that mountain the next day.

After breakfast the next morning I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do. Sit in the lobby while all of my friends were out on that mountain or go back on that mountain and give it another shot? I said fuck it. I paid all this money for this and I'm not going to sit around while my buddies are having a good time. I went back out there and I was fine within a half hour.

I realized a few things about snowboarding. Try to ride with a few buddies. I was alone when I crashed but if something bad were to have happened I want someone looking for me. Try to avoid crappy/icy conditions. Don't over do it. If you feel like you got a lot of runs in for the day and are pretty tired then call it a day. That one extra run could get you hurt. Wear lots of protection like knee pads, elbow pads, crash pads, and possibly a full body armor. I have all of that shit. I am not taking any chances.

I would recommend that you take a day or two to think about it. If you feel it is too dangerous and not worth it then just walk away from it for a while. This is a dangerous sport and could be life threatening. There are more important things in this world other than snowboarding.

Good luck.