Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Gun Control Debate thread
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 05:47 AM   #320 (permalink)
sleev-les

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
In all of the last mass shootings including Ft, Hood, Virginia Tech, Aurora Co, Clackamas Mall, Or and now this, the guns were owned legally by people just like you and I. Law abiding with no clue that they would snap. Who can say with absolute certainty that in a month or a year or 10, that you or I won't snap and go from Johnny law abiding upstanding citizen to mass shooter? In all of these cases, they were law abiding people before wigging out. Christ! In the Ft. Hood massacre, it was a soldier; someone most of us would place complete trust in.

Getting these weapons under control and outright banning of some does work. Again, we don't see these mass shootings occurring regularly in Canada, Australia, Japan, France, Germany, England and other places where the average joe does not have easy access to them. Getting these weapons on the black market is not nearly as easy ad buying them legally at a gun shop. Bans absolutely do slow down these types of gun crimes; we saw it with the Clinton Assault Weapons ban. Even though the overall crime rates rose until he seriously funded more cops, mass shootings were rare. Bush repealed the assault weapons ban and here we are....... Burying children!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
An overall excellent post and I agree completely! I specifically quoted this first part to add that in many cases, spanking these children who have these issues can actually help create these monsters. Now, I am not one of these "never spank your kids" hyper liberals and believe it is effective and necessary for some kids and families. I myself received my fair share of sessions receiving the razor strap from grandpa and dad's belt. In school, like other boys, I have experienced the paddle from both the coach and the principal and I deserved it every time and I learned consequences for my actions.

But, this can have the total opposite effect with kids like you mention and if the parent does not conduct it properly, it does more harm than good. If done by a parent who is lashing out at the kid in anger or rage, it teaches the kid to lash out with physical violence when angry and can actually create a mass shooter. The whole spanking issue is a Pandora's box that can be a very good and positive disciplinary tool or can be very psychologically destructive.

I experienced both. My mom and dad both had serious anger control issues and the beatings I received were abusive and lashing out in rage with no constructive discipline value. On the flip side the coporal punishment I received at school and from my grandpa was administered appropriately and was constructive discipline.

Again, it's not about spanking your kids, it's about these damn guns!
Ft. Hood is a little different Wolf. Military bases have weapons readily available. I work on one and its not hard for enlisted to go sign out a weapon if not already assigned one. I don't remember specifics about Ft. Hood and I'm not posting to argue the point since I don't know where that shooter got his weapon (personal or assigned), but military bases are like candy stores if enlisted men/women decide to snap. I agree its not about spanking a child, but more about being an effective parent. Then thats only a piece of the pie. Mental instability is another piece of the pie and so on. There is a lot of variables that create the monster.

The reason I wanted to post something in here is what I saw as disturbing yesterday. There has been a lot of mentioning of assault weapon bans, but yesterday I saw that there are many ways to get around that definition. I went into my local gun shop and of course, they are selling weapons like its no tomorrow with all the fear of bans. I was looking at the different rifles. One was a 5.56 assault rifle, the other a .308 SAS assault rifle. Both guns looked very similar, but the 5.56 was the deemed assault rifle and required the standard background check and waiting period. The SAS, bigger caliber, longer range was a cash and carry weapon. They looked the same, but one was able to get past the definition and be walked out the door the same day if the simple background check was passed. I think that weapon should have been subject to the same background check as the 5.56 and was quite shocked.