Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Gun Control Debate thread
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #382 (permalink)
Donutz
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstop13 View Post
No i'm not implying that at all. I'm saying that we should have the same vitriol towards both subjects. Regardless of the method, 10,000 people die each year in the states to both alcohol and guns. Their are 20,000 families out there grieving for loved ones removed way too early due to means that should be controlled more.
While this is true, and I agree it's also a tragedy, I don't think that bringing this up in this type of debate is going to have the effect that you want it to. The immediate assumption is going to be that you're trying to deflect -- typical rearguard action along the lines of "how can you complain about this while that is happening" or "this happes so that can't be all that unacceptable". Both of these strategies are typically used by people who just don't want to change this and can't or won't come up with any actual valid arguments. If this is not your intent, then you may want to rejigger your statements a little.

I hate the parts between winter