Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums - View Single Post - Which setup is best
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lamps
Veteran Member

I found that an easy stance setup for learning was zero on the back foot and +15 on the front. Maybe -3 on the back and +12 on the front would also be good.

I started with both feet pointing forward a bit and really wish I didn't. It caused me to open up my shoulders and do all sorts of wrong things in my turns.

Buy the best boots you can afford and try on as many as you can to get the right fit. Don't buy boots online unless you've already tried them on. If your shoe size is more than size 9 make sure that you do the proper research to see if you need a wide or mid wide board.

Your height is pretty much irrelevant when choosing a board, weight and foot size are the key measures. Go to an online board sizing calculator, punch in your stats and you ability - e.g. beginner and it will tell you the length.

Then go to craigslist or eBay or other source of used stuff and find a board in that length that is suitable for beginner to intermediate - people here will tell you if you post the board. Boots matter most for beginners, and then if you get things in the ballpark for the board that is all that matters.

Then take a lesson and you'll be set. Priorities are 1) Boots, 2) Lesson, 3) Helmet, 4) board/binding, 4) anything else.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote